Setting up a Remote IP Camera(s) and NVR at a different locations

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Group. I am still a newbie when it comes to IP Cameras.

My questions is, for our Neighborhood Watch in our small community, we would like to setup Wireless IP Cameras at various locations.

Each location has Wifi capabilities available from various homeowners. Cameras we want to test are Dahua IPC-HFW1435S-W. We have a homeowner that has a Dahua NVR DHI-NVR4216 that we could use as the main recording device.

Is it possible that a camera can be setup using a specific DDNS so it can record back to the NVR at a different location which is not on the same internet location? Or do we need some sort of VPN device at the camera and one at the NVR?

Sounds a tad complicated. Research on the internet has found nothing that addresses our question.

Thank you for any and all responses. Have a great day.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm gonna say it before someone else does, Wi-fi cameras aren't the first choice.

Is possible, I would use PoE cameras on each building.

I'm not sure how the connections would work. I'm interested in this as well for my apartment.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm gonna say it before someone else does, Wi-fi cameras aren't the first choice.

Is possible, I would use PoE cameras on each building.

I'm not sure how the connections would work. I'm interested in this as well for my apartment.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.
Hello Kevin,

The only reason we are looking at WiFi Cameras, is that (1) reasonable cost, (2) lots of available "free" wifi connections from local homeowners all depending on where the cameras are set, and (3) available local power.

Steve

Reaction score
Here's the problem I see with this approach. Any WISE homeowner wouldn't want to allow a device on their network that was insecure and that couldn't be reached without port forwarding. To make the cameras more secure if you could put a small VPN client (or server) on the camera or a device in between the camera and the host network that could be AUTO-CONNECTed then it would be a much safer setup. Any additional hardware will add cost to each point in the system.

I have a scenario where I wanted to propose monitoring the entrance to our HOA (it'd be worth it for me to record it for free if it was setup even), and I thought it would be more efficient to do Point-To-Point wireless bridge (like Ubiquity Nano). Again that adds some equipment cost, plus electrical work, and mounting of the bridge antenna with direct line-of-sight to a central recorder home or something.

In both scenarios the camera is no longer really even a significant cost! Definitely wanting to stay plugged into this discussion though.

Possibly this useful article from IPVM might be a low cost option, just power the PI Zero from wart in a box near the camera or with POE tap. Simple And Cheap VPN Setups Against Hacking but be advised there are really good guidance away from wi-fi cameras (and combining camera wi-fi connected to PiVPN wi-fi connected to host wi-fi feels like a disaster waiting to happen)

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As mentioned above either port forwarding cameras ( which is a security mess) or a vpn will likely be problematic for your users.

WiFi cameras are likely going to be a problem and unreliable.

I like the concept of using Ubiquity gear to relay the video to a recorder, assuming you have LOS, but not smart enough to know how that would work with multiple homes ..

We bit the bullet and installed a pole at the entrance and culdesac of our street, had internet and power run to each and house an Asus router along with an NVR in a Nema box at each location.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not to mention the sheer amount of data and bandwidth consumed with several cams uploading 24/7 via the Internet to a downloading NVR at another location! :wow: