Setting up synology DS115j with blue iris

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
my 115j nas is being delivered today so trying to get a head start on setting it up to work with blue iris.
I’ve had a quick forum search and think I need to set a user on the 115j with the same name and password as my pc account if I’ve read that correctly.
Also I have bi to run as a service which I have seen may cause an issue ?
First thing will be to get it connected to my network then no doubt I’ll have more questions.
Does the hard drive need formatting a certain way once installed in nas ?
Thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you set BI to run as a Windows service, as long as you modify the service to run using a PC account that also matches an account on the Synology, you should be fine.

You don't need to format the HDD in a certain way in the Synology, just configure/enable SMB on the 115j.

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Aristobat,
How would I go about modifying the service? This is the permissions tab under task manager for the blue iris service, is it something in this tab I need to edit ?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Give this a shot (it assumes you already have a Windows user account setup that you want to use):
  1. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
  2. Find (and then double-click on) the Blue Iris service.
  3. Click the Log On tab and change it from "Local System account" to "This account" (where you type in the username and password).
  4. Click OK to save the change, and then right-click on the service and choose the option to restart it.

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great help thanks, that’s all done.
Just setting up the nas now, is it the primary administrator account on the nas that needs to match my pc account ?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I would create a new account on the NAS for this, and I would not give it administrative rights.

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so I set up the main admin account for nas then set up a secondary account without admin rights which uses the same name/password as my pc account ?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I set up the main admin account for nas then set up a secondary account without admin rights which uses the same name/password as my pc account ?
That's what I would do. BI doesn't need an account w/ NAS admin privileges in order to write to the NAS. IMO, always best to setup accounts with the right privileges for the task.

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, you have been a great help.
I’ve now set my ‘new’ and ‘stored’ file paths to point to new folders in the video section of the nas, at first there were no clips appearing in the clip window of blue iris but by unticking the ‘run as a service’ in bi options it started showing clips, I then re-ticked the box and entered account details again in the services section of admin tools in control panel and the cameras are recording fine.

One other thing, I saw no reference to SMB whilst setting up the nas, where would I find this or should I just leave as is if things seem to be operating correctly ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Blue Iris. I just bought a 4 bay Synology unit with one drive dedicated for use with BI. I am now somewhat familiar with the workings of the NAS unit but I am still unclear about how to interpret the instructions above for making it play with BI.

This is where I am so far:
1) I am on Win 10 and I am "running BI as a service"
2) I have created a user called BlueIris on my NAS with read/write permissions for a Shared Folder on the NAS called "BlueIris"
3) I know how to get to Admin tools in Win 10 and then open the Blue Iris Service.
4) I Reset that window to the choice "This Account"

Now I'm lost. When I set it to This Account I then see that there is a rather long password already there (which I do not recall ever having entered) so I am afraid to change it, AND, if I am supposed to change it I am not sure what I am supposed to change it to based upon the instructions above. I read that I am supposed to have my Windows user name & password match the user name & password of the new user that I just created on the NAS called "BlueIris", but I'm not sure if this is correct or how to set this up on the PC.

I have searched a great deal before asking for help but i just cannot connect the dots to get Blue Iris & the Synology Nas working together. If I can get it working I will post a video to share this info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.