Settings for continuous recording

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I installed a new WD purple 2tb to record continuously. (1 cam currently). I have it setup but more than likely incorrectly, as the new drive (New_S) is barely being used.

I have attached screenshots of the settings I currently have in place. What kind of folders should I add to the WD purple vs having clips dump into it?

I appreciate any help with this. I hate to lose something.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Why are you limiting the directory sizes so drastically? 10 and 20 GB on a 2TB are just tickling it and you will never get 7 or 14 days of video into either of them at that low a size.

Basics of storage -

Create the directory structure exactly as Blue Iris shows it, IE (drive letter):/Blue Iris/(directory name) such as "new", "alerts", "stored" as needed.
Do not move files from "new" "stored".
Use stored for clips that you really need to save and even for those it may be better to export them and burn them to a CD, DVD or USB stick.
Do not set time limits, as in 7 days, just use the size limit and let BI handle things.
Allocate enough space in "new" to handle the amount of files needed to meet your time goals, if possible.
Set "cut/combine" to one hour and 1GB. This greatly simplifies reviewing video.
Leave about 10% of free space on the drive for "headroom" as files sizes can vary and this will privent an "over allocation" error.
If you can, reformat the drive you're using for storage and set the block allocation size to 1024 to reduce writes which can extend the life of the drive.

Search the forum, the magnifying glass in the blue bar at the top of the page, and you will find these same suggestions. Also, look at the Cliff Notes and the other documentation in the WiKi, also in the blue bar at the top of the page, for even more detailed information regarding cameras, Blue Iris, system security and a lot of other good, important, information. You can also search the forum using Google with the following site:ipcamtalk.com (search term)

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As well as that pointed out above you currently have New and Stored set to use the C: drive and your New_S is also set to move files to Stored on the C: drive.

So start again and create a folder on the 2Tb drive, I’ve called mine “Blue Iris” on my system for example and within that create Stored.

Reset New and Stored and New_S to their default values ie 0 size. Then set Stored to S:\Blue Iris\Stored, set the size to 10% less than the overall space available, don’t set an age option and select the option to Delete so that BI manages the space on the drive and deletes older clips as it needs to. Then set your cam to use Stored. You should also manually remove the existing clips as BI won’t manage them otherwise.

So the idea is to just let BI writes the clips directly to your 2Tb drive, no point moving things around between drives as that’s just pointless and waste of resources and let BI manage the space.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I installed a new WD purple 2tb to record continuously. (1 cam currently). I have it setup but more than likely incorrectly, as the new drive (New_S) is barely being used.

I have attached screenshots of the settings I currently have in place. What kind of folders should I add to the WD purple vs having clips dump into it?

I appreciate any help with this. I hate to lose something.
Blue Iris Video Tutorials | IP Cam Talk