Settings Help

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can some of the experts here take a look at my settings and tell me if this is as good as it gets with this camera?
I'm trying to dial in my settings. This is the camera: IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.

I'm not sure if my expectations are too high but it seems like I've seen video reviews with this camera and other 2mp starlights (such as the 2231) that look much better than my capture.
This cam is installed in the soffit above my garage door, so ~10ft high. However, my driveway slopes up towards the street so my mailbox is not much higher than the camera placement.

Here is a short clip of me after wiping the lens with a microfiber. It still doesn't look like I'm getting the best image possible.
Should I zoom in to the box I outlined in the still picture so I get more megapixels on a smaller area?

Some of my settings are attached.
WDR is turned off. Smart Infrared turned on.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd add more gain for 1/120 shutter.
Set your image settings back to normal 50 on all except Contrast. Every 5231 I owned needed added contrast
Try CBR 8192 bitrate.

What is your IR set to?

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd add more gain for 1/120 shutter.
Set your image settings back to normal 50 on all except Contrast. Every 5231 I owned needed added contrast
Try CBR 8192 bitrate.

What is your IR set to?
IR is on smart IR.

I'll adjust the image settings and increase the bitrate.
Being that I'm using H265 encoding, I didn't think the higher bitrate was necessary?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
One can argue bitrate , I prefer 8192 on 2/4MP cameras.

Gain and/or IR is the biggest issue. Try gain of 40-45

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
By setting the image settings to default just allows you to better set the top level exposure settings first and then use those to fine tune if need be.

I think the image is good, just needs a bit more punch of light. Adding +5 or 10 gain and/or maybe playing with manual IR

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
t your image settings back to normal 50 on
One can argue bitrate , I prefer 8192 on 2/4MP cameras.

Gain and/or IR is the biggest issue. Try gain of 40-45
Here is another try.
Increased the bitrate to CBR 8192
Increased gain from 35 to 45
Image settings are all at 50 except contrast at 55. Anything higher and the image gets too dark.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In all honesty... it doesn't look "good" to me and although it's not bright, it's not completely pitch black either.
My neighbor has been leaving his garage flood lights on and there is a small led light post in front of his house as well (that's why the right side near the mailbox seems a tad brighter).

I'm kind of lost other than possibly leaving my flood lights on at night as well.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
When I say “good” I mean given its 3year old technology and no substantial motion blur.

Adding gain helped it pop. Adding some external IR would help even more.

Once you get to the back of the car, you lack enough IR. Notice how much better it is at the front of the car. You could try a little more zoom.

I can’t tell you how much time I had in getting 5231’s dialed in until I added enough light (IR or white light). they’re great cameras, but the sensor in them, while tops in its day, still need help from added light.

Generally it takes 2 crossing cameras to cover a driveway really well. And the added IR from the opposing camera helps a lot without the hot spot effect of a single strong IR source from the viewing camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You did take the thin hard to see plastic film off the glass covering the lens right? ;)

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Generally it takes 2 crossing cameras to cover a driveway really well. And the added IR from the opposing camera helps a lot without the hot spot effect of a single strong IR source from the viewing camera.
Although I had toyed with the idea of adding a second camera, I never really thought about how that second camera's infrared light would boost the night time vision. That's definitely something I'll keep in mind going forward.

Thanks a lot for your help.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I like the color image, you might be able to dial back the gain a tad with that light.....

I run 1200 lumen bulbs in my two coach lights. Its all about light at the end of the day.