Setup and location advice.

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI, I am currently running an i7-2600k, and I run 4-2MP and 1-4MP starlight camera and it is consistently running over 25%-30% CPU. It is fine for a starter system, especially since you have it (that was my scenario), but you should definitely put a 5th or 6th gen (or better) on your shopping list to locate and purchase in the next couple months as you will outgrow it quickly imho (it's a 2011 CPU after all so long in the tooth). You are missing out on multiple generations of platform improvement, and also 2600k uses DDR3 memory instead of newer DDR4 (and in another thread some testing has shown Blue Iris is definitely memory bandwidth limited).

Check out video from 2017 (at that time 2600k is already 6 years old). It is funny in that comparison it still shows the 2600k able to hold it's own against an 8700k in gaming (due mostly to offload capability to graphics cards). Also note about 9:45 the power comparison, the 8700k has lower idle and only slightly higher full load power draw (it also has 6 cores) compared to the older technology 2600k. Those power draw numbers aren't miles apart, but you will eventually save money (at higher performance level) going with the newer tech.

Secondly, I am running 11TB of surveillance storage and I get over 6 months of 24/7 video (but running some cameras at very low FPS), so your mileage will be much lower with just 2-2TB and higher MP cameras.
Thanks for all the great info. Right now, i'm just running the server test-bench style with the cameras sitting on top of the server. 3 cameras running at 4k resolution and 10fps. I'm sitting at about 30% cpu. For some reason, there ins't a display adapter showing under Device Manager, i'm suspecting that there isn't a intel graphics driver installed. I tried going to asus' website and tried to download the vga driver but the OS options only go to windows 8.1. i tried installing the 8.1 driver but it error'd out from the start. maybe i should try to the windows 7 driver. So my system isn't using hardware accelerations currently.

I'm currently trying trying to work out a price with a seller on ebay for an hp elitedesk g1 with a i7 4790 and 16gb of ram in a small form factor case. My only concern is that it only has 1 3.5" bay and 1 2.5" bay. I wonder if there's extra sata connectors on the mobo and i could just ghetto rig one to the outside if i need an additional drive down the road.

Reaction score
I am using Driver Version: 9.17.10.4459 dated: 5/19/2016

I believe is the newest driver for that 2600k HD3000 graphics, but it might have been installed when this computer updated to Windows 10. My 2600k is running fine on Windows 10 after it upgraded automatically (oops) sometime in the last year.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did get it during the lightening deal. I'm afraid that it may not get utilized to it's potential. It may just stay in one location.

Maybe I should look through the blue iris ptz settings. Maybe there are some automation I can mess with?
Yes there is. Example: One of your stationary cams can trigger the ptz to go to a preset position of your choosing.

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using Driver Version: 9.17.10.4459 dated: 5/19/2016

I believe is the newest driver for that 2600k HD3000 graphics, but it might have been installed when this computer updated to Windows 10. My 2600k is running fine on Windows 10 after it upgraded automatically (oops) sometime in the last year.
I downloaded the driver for the second gen i7 from the wiki page, but there isn't an installer in those files. Any ideas?

The seller for the refurb hp desktop just acceped my $180 offer for the hp 4790 with 16gb of ram. I was hoping to get it for $150, but not loosing any sleep.

Reaction score
I believe those drivers are for Windows 10, I thought I read you are running Windows 7 ? Anyway, that 4790 should be a good upgrade, if for no other reason than it should have WDDM 2.0 (useful for seeing graphics load in Task Mgr) & h.264 Quick Sync video support that the Sandy Bridge doesn't. I don't think you get h.265 until 6th gen.

Throw an Nvidia 970-1060 in that 2600k and a $30 SSD and put it on Craigslist as an entry level gaming PC for $350 to pay for your 4790.

Its old by computer standards, but as the earlier video highlights impact could be marginal in DX11-DX12 games. Basically where it will suffer is Triple-A games that have support for more cores and need them. Not every parent can afford a $1000-$2000 gaming system for their kid for Christmas. Looking at local craigslist a couple 2600k are $200 (without graphics)-$400 (with graphics) listed as "gaming computer". Lots of 4th gen in the $400+ range.

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe those drivers are for Windows 10, I thought I read you are running Windows 7 ? Anyway, that 4790 should be a good upgrade, if for no other reason than it should have WDDM 2.0 (useful for seeing graphics load in Task Mgr) & h.264 Quick Sync video support that the Sandy Bridge doesn't. I don't think you get h.265 until 6th gen.

Throw an Nvidia 970-1060 in that 2600k and a $30 SSD and put it on Craigslist as an entry level gaming PC for $350 to pay for your 4790.

Its old by computer standards, but as the earlier video highlights impact could be marginal in DX11-DX12 games. Basically where it will suffer is Triple-A games that have support for more cores and need them. Not every parent can afford a $1000-$2000 gaming system for their kid for Christmas. Looking at local craigslist a couple 2600k are $200 (without graphics)-$400 (with graphics) listed as "gaming computer". Lots of 4th gen in the $400+ range.
I'm running windows 10 for the 2600k. I'm thinking that the mobo is too old for windows 10. I'm not sure if the windows 7 driver is compatible for windows 10. Any ideas?

Thats a really good idea about selling the system to recoup some of the money. It already has a 240gb intell ssd. I'll have to see how cheap i can get a gpu for.

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was looking through the forum, and I see the ptz with tracking:

The ptz I have, I paid around 260+tax. Im wondering if it's worth the extra 100 to have tracking? Thoughts?

Reaction score
.. your stationary cams can trigger the ptz to go to a preset position of your choosing.
Sweet bit of info there. I was thinking I would not be able to use an auto PTZ because I dont have a long driveway. :p

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I decided to pony up another $100 and get the ptz with tracking. I'll return the armcrest.