Setup IP Camera on a 4G/LTE Network

aburfitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am from Australia and have been trying to get my IP camera working remotely on the Telstra 4G network for a few days and it is starting to drive me crazy.
The plan is to have the camera monitor my gate remotely so I can log in and view it using my mobile phone.
I have a Dahua 3MP camera model number DH-IPC-HDBW1320EP
I have set it up on my home router with using a DDNS account and port forwarding and it works great. I can connect to it fine and there are no issues.
I bought a D-Link DWR-921 4G/LTE router and spent a few hours trying to get the port forwarding to work . On this router port forwarding is called a virtual server. After not being able to get it to work I contacted D Link support to be told that this model does not support Port Forwarding (virtual server) when used as a 4G/LTE router. I really wish the manual had said that so save me wasting my time.
So I bought a Dovado Tiny AC and plugged a Telstra USB modem into it. They look like a really good little device.
I setup the Port Forwarding and DDNS settings exactly as I had done on my home Router as I know this works fine.
I tried to connect to my camera using the app on my phone as I have done previously and it didn't work.

I checked my Port Forward connection and it is not getting through using the Dovado and Telstra modem.
I checked the IP in the router config and then checked what it is on the internet and they show the same address so I know I know I am getting through properly.
It has left me scratching my head a little.
I know telstra in some cases will limit port forwarding capabilities on the 4G network so I rang them and the lady who answered really didn't seem to know what Port Forwarding was and said it should work.
So I am stuck a little and thought I would ask the experts.
Has anyone used a telstra pre paid sim in a 4g/lte router and successfully port forward a server or ip camera?
I would be interested to hear what you have done differently to get it to work.
Is there any other brands of 4G/LTE routers that you have used that have worked fine for port forwarding?
I look forward to hearing your comments. Thanks.

aburfitt

n3wb
Reaction score
That looks like a great idea and should work as well.
I will look into it.
Thank you Idasilva

aburfitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry I have another question. It may be a basic one but I want to get my head around the whole VPN setup as there is a lot of info on the internet and some of it is conflicting.
So to connect to my IP camera I need to setup a VPN server at home, either on my PC that is running all the time, a server such as Synology or a router with VPN Server abilities.
I have signed up for a monthly account with PureVPN just as a trial. I know I can also use OpenVPN but found PureVPN easy for now as they had all the setting I needed to use to get my Dovado Router Tiny AC working. It is now connected to the VPN and working fine. My Router is only a VPN Client though not Server so this leads to the next question.
I want the camera to be remote and also solar powered so the less devices attached the better. So it needs to be simple but effective.
Rather than buy a new router with VPN server abilities, Is it possible to do the same thing but use an online server?
So all devices connect to a online based VPN server, my iphone, the router and the camera through the router.
All the setup would need then is IP camera, router with USB 4G modem and I can connect to it anywhere through iPhone or PC etc.
I might be missing some obvious steps in here so feel free to point them out.
Thanks everyone.

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
vpn server at home ***pc/router***
***some type of vpn client at remote site with camera (with usb for 4g modem)*** connect to vpn server at home

purevpn not needed

read the primer i linked above

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PureVPN provides an entirely different service then what is provided by OpenVPN setup at your location. Its the wrong choice.
PureVPN won't do anything to protect your network, all PVPn does is hide your browsing habits on the web.