Setup of Combined NVR and General NAS

Wire Fox

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, first real post on here, but I've been lurking around for information for around a year now. I've been focused on building up my main home network and having it designed in mind for installing cameras in the near future, and I want to finally start finalizing that setup.

I currently have an all-gigabit network rigged up into a 14U media rack in a central communication closet. This central point houses everything on my network, including the PoE for my WAPs and will be the PoE source for my cameras. This is all on an APC 1500VA UPS, which with only a network gear load, lasts remarkably over 6 hours on battery.

I'm currently planning on having about 6 2 MP cameras and 2 4 MP cameras on my system, but want to be expansible to have everything be 4 MP cameras at 15 FPS. If the basics are right, that means I want a total capacity of 480 MP/s (don't know the actual camera bitrates, as those aren't finalized yet). To reduce total hardware volume and power consumption, I want to also combine an NAS into the same hardware set. There'd be a shared SSD for the OS, BI, and whatever NAS suite I need to run. BI would store video data to a WD Purple array, while the NAS would be set to store data to a WD Red array. The SSD would most likely be in the M.2 form factor, but that's not critical (would be based on available drive slots and total system cost).

While I know that my network is constructed adequately to handle all of this and I have a basic idea of my storage needs, I'm really unsure of how to properly spec my processor and RAM needs for this setup. As well, I'm not sure if it would be best practice to run these separate services in the same environment, or if they should be isolated into separate VMs. I know the NAS build groups usually like to do separate VMs for all different services hosted on NAS hardware, but I'm not sure how well BI handles that type of setup. I'd love to hear any advice you guys have, even if it's "you really need to build this on separate machines and here's why."