[Setup recommendation please] TPLink IP Cam - local laptop & synch to Google Drive

starkiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear all,

Hope fellow members are doing well

I am planning to setup a simple IP Cam at home

Equipment: 4x TPLink TL-IPC45AW, 5 Megapixel
(I can grab this camera for 209RMB/camera (£20/camera) when I transit at China next month)

The cloud service is a burden, so I plan not to use this
Instead I plan to let all 4 cameras to stream to my Windows 10 laptop. My laptop will be on 24x7 and record the 4x camera streams locally at the harddrive. Then synch the record to Google drive.

Do you think this will work please?
Any recommendation on IP Camera is welcomed also, I can grab the bargain when I transit at China.

Many thanks.

ipcam.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know for a fact that that particular camera has a RTSP stream available? Many, if not most, cloud-based cameras do not.

starkiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you know for a fact that that particular camera has a RTSP stream available? Many, if not most, cloud-based cameras do not.
TPlink claims it support ONVIF
So, I suppose it should have no problem to stream to Windows 10

TPlink IP Cam (with ONVIF) ---> iSpy (Windows 10)

Then, synch the recordings ---> Google Drive
(Worse case scenario, someone broke in, stole my laptop, I still have the recordings at Google Drive)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It appears to be sold in China only so I cannot say for sure.
I can say their Tapo C-110 will.

Do you want a camera that is wireless only?

starkiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
It appears to be sold in China only so I cannot say for sure.
I can say their Tapo C-110 will.

Do you want a camera that is wireless only?
Wireless is preferred. I have power socket nearby where I wanted to install, but didn't have RJ45 around the house.

starkiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
I just found over internet that 4Megapixels camera, 25fps, consumes 40GB a day
This camera is 5Megapixels, 4 cameras can easily consumes 200GB/day...
I will need a huge harddisk, huge cloud space and bandwidth to synch to cloud
This can be a huge blocking point...

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would not recommend using a laptop to record because they are extremely limited on drive storage space and their behavior can be unpredictable at times with random shut-downs or reboots, going to sleep, battery issues, etc.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could consider either an NVR or NAS drive and then sync the NAS drive to Google Drive, or just use a PC based setup with adequate drive space.

starkiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
You could consider either an NVR or NAS drive and then sync the NAS drive to Google Drive, or just use a PC based setup with adequate drive space.
I agree
Thanks for pointing out!
I am checking TP-Link VIGI NVR

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Record motion-only @ 15FPS, reduce resolution to 2MP/1080

starkiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for comments
I updated my configuration as below. 2.4GHz wifi is dedicated for IP Cam and some TPLink smart switches, my laptop and phone uses 5GHz wifi anyway.
I previously underestimated the bandwidth required for video streaming to cloud. I have to give up cloud storage, because it was not practical with my home internet upload bandwidth. Occasionally remote access to DVR video should be ok, but 24x7 continuous video stream to cloud will kill my internet. So, the home DVR is the storage point! It will be hidden somewhere at home in steel safety box, pinned to concreate wall.
I added UPS too. If someone breaks in, they would most probably cut the power supply first.
Remote monitoring is an important factor for me because I worry a lot of my parents when I am at work. Alarm push messages and remote access to the DVR are perfect for me.

Comment is welcomed and very appreciated!

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That looks good, but the NVR needs adequate ventilation otherwise it will overheat, so I wouldn't bury it inside a steel box. You might want to also consider a dedicated display for the NVR...I have a Samsung PC display connected to my NVR and the camera views continuously scroll in sequence or I can just look at one all the time. I'm curios to know what software you're using to draw those cool diagrams? :)

starkiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
That looks good, but the NVR needs adequate ventilation otherwise it will overheat, so I wouldn't bury it inside a steel box. You might want to also consider a dedicated display for the NVR...I have a Samsung PC display connected to my NVR and the camera views continuously scroll in sequence or I can just look at one all the time. I'm curios to know what software you're using to draw those cool diagrams? :)
Thanks for NVR ventilation and dedicated display!
As for the diagram, I used MS Visio