Setup wireless cameras with Synology NAS

RichardD

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought a Synology NAS and I'm looking to buy a 2 IP cameras to monitor the exterior of the house. I initially placed an order for a couple of cameras which had great reviews, however, I realised these weren't wireless so cancelled the order. The reason for cancelling is my router is in the lounge at the front of my house and one camera will positioned at the rear at the property, the the other on the opposite side of the house and I don't want cables everywhere.

After looking for wireless cameras which are compatible with Synology, have good reviews and are reasonably priced, I'm struggling.

The cameras I originally ordered could be powered by PoE so would only need one cable. This got me thinking of whether there is another solution such as using a wireless extender/access point and using that in a socket in my garage in combination with a POE injector? I'm not familiar with POE so trying to see how this could work but if I can get the connection between the lounge and garage and then use a cat5/6 cable from there to the two cameras (wire would be concealed within the garage to get to both cameras) then that seems like the ideal solution. Problem is, I don't know what I need to buy so wondered if someone could offer some advice?

Last edited: