Sfp port help

TEX10.95

n3wb
Reaction score
I PURCHASED THE FOLLOWING SWITCH AND CLEARLY WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION WHEN I DID IT. I READ 10 PORT POE SWITCH WHICH IS WHAT I NEEDED BUT I FAILED TO SEE THAT 8 PORTS WERE POE RJ45 READY AND 2 PORTS WERE SPF.

D-Link Systems 10-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE Switch including 2 Gigabit SFP Ports (DGS-1210-10P)

WITH THAT BEING SAID I HAVE 8 HIKVISION CAMERAS THAT ARE SET UP AND 7 OF THE 8 ARE ROCKING AND ROLLING RIGHT NOW WITH THE BLUE IRIS

I AM BY NO MEANS WELL INFORMED ON ALL THIS SO I DID SOME GOOGLING AND FIGURED AN SFP MODULE LIKE THE FOLLOWING WITH AN RJ45 END WOULD FIX MY PROBLEM. WELL TODAY WHEN I PLUGGED IT INTO THE SWITCH I FOUND OUT IT DIDN'T QUITE WORK OUT LIKE I HAD HOPED.

Macroreer for Arista SFP-1G-T Mini-GBIC 1000Base-T Copper SFP Module Gigabit RJ45 Copper SFP Transceiver 100m

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID I'M IN NEED OF SOME GUIDANCE. IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO DO WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO AS FAR AS TURNING THE SFP INTO AN RJ45 TO RUN THE 8TH CAMERA OR DO I JUST NEED TO BUY EITHER A BIGGER SWITCH OR A POE INJECTOR...?

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I PURCHASED THE FOLLOWING SWITCH AND CLEARLY WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION WHEN I DID IT. I READ 10 PORT POE SWITCH WHICH IS WHAT I NEEDED BUT I FAILED TO SEE THAT 8 PORTS WERE POE RJ45 READY AND 2 PORTS WERE SPF.
Hook all 8 cams to the PoE ports, use the SFP port and module you bought for the uplink to the rest of your network.

TEX10.95

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried that too. I hooked all 8 cameras to the PoE ports and then used the SFP to PoE conversion port for the Internet connection still got nothing though unfortunately.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Too lazy to rtfm for you...

Check the web interface, you may have to enable the sfp ports manually.

switchman

n3wb
Reaction score
Its also possible they "locked" it to their SFPs. But I would see if you can enable it via the interface first. Then I would try a version listed for it first. All they do is add an identifier to the SFP that software checks and if it is the correct code, it lets it run. What other vendors do is program their SFPs with the same code.

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DGS-1210-10

DGS-712 (1000Base-T)

Also, quit typing in all caps.

Last edited by a moderator: