SFP ports/switch?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWIW, I received an email from Cisco support saying they've escalated my request for access without a full contract to a higher level. Ultimately I expect it'll still be rejected but at least they haven't said no just yet. LOL.

uniquename

n3wb
Reaction score
They are 24-port PoE and PoE+ switches. $10 each. One has 10/100 LAN ports with two gig uplink ports, the other has 10/100/1000 LAN ports and four gig uplink ports. I figure for IP camera duty the 10/100 unit will still be just fine, given the gig uplink ports.

They both have 370W PoE power capability. 15W per port or the one with PoE+ can do 30W on up to 12 ports.

Draw is 30W at idle on the PoE and 40W at idle on the PoE+. Of course, that's just sitting here doing nothing other than me presently looking at the nifty web interfaces and trying to navigate Cisco's website and qualifications for downloading high encryption-type software.

Looked at a brand new Ubiquity 24-port PoE. It lists 32W power consumption (not including PoE). These here I just bought for $10 each seem in the same ballpark for power draw. They do have commercial grade fans...so they won't be in the livingroom. But, that was never the place for them to go anyway.
What model? That sounds like a 2960S and a total steal at that price.

DwightMorgan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought Cisco had changed their policy to lifetime firmware updates to compete with others.... perhaps only on newer switches or for the original owner....

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What model? That sounds like a 2960S and a total steal at that price.
Yes, a 2960-S PoE+ . Also a 2960 PoE and 3560 PoE.

There were two 48-port 2960-S there too. Tempted as I was, I didn't. Thought about offering $40 for the stack of five. He probably would have bit but this is overkill the way it is.

Both 2960-series units I could leave well enough alone.

On the 3560 I can only get to the web Express Setup screen. It functions as a switch but I'd sure like to get the web management working rather than trying to work the settings through CLI. Reading suggests there is/can be a web management interface but something about certain versions of firmware exhibit this behavior of showing only the Express Setup (which is just the basic settings for the switch IP, password, and couple other things.) It's primarily this why I would like access to the firmware.

Last edited:

uniquename

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a killer, killer deal. It's worth learning basic CLI, that 3560 can do layer 3 switching. I'm not sure they ever did much for a web interface on the 3500s...but I have never even tried.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I started the contingency plan; made a management cable, RJ-45 to DB9.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWIW, I did get access to the software downloads without having to buy a service contract.

That said, unfortunately, it looks like the 3560 doesn't have enough memory to run the SW with built-in web GUI. But, Network Assistant appears to facilitate extensive config through it, in a GUI-type manner.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorta talking to myself here but, frankly, I'm rather proud of what's happened. Through more or less sink or swim, I've actually gotten the software loaded that has the integral web interface. Had to use CLI to go in and clean up the flash area then use TFTP to load the software .tar archive into the switch. Wherein, with some other CLI, the .tar extracts/installs, kept fingers crossed, and that's pretty much that. :headbang:

3560.JPG