Sharing My Thoughts on My IPC-HFW2831T-ZS Cams After 6 Weeks With Them

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Any improve nighttime performance improvements when using external IR?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah that's a pity. Yep, hopefully @EMPIRETECANDY does work on getting SmartIR into the 2831 as the specs for the 2831 clearly says "SmartIR = Support" which is what we customers who bought the 2831 should be getting, so Dahua/Andy has to make it SmartIR available :D .
If Dahua and Hikvision had to "make it right" every time they've messed up something on one of their official spec sheets, both companies would probably be out of business by now. :). Hats off to Andy for being a reseller that will take the time to work with Dahua on behalf of his customers for this an other issues, though!

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If Dahua and Hikvision had to "make it right" every time they've messed up something on one of their official spec sheets, both companies would probably be out of business by now. :). Hats off to Andy for being a reseller that will take the time to work with Dahua on behalf of his customers for this an other issues, though!
Good point. Yep, Andy is honestly the best seller I have ever encountered. He treats his job like it's his life haha. Hope Andy's salary gets a raise for his work efforts. Such a great guy. I'm planning on buying 2- 3 more cameras from him too. Thanks @EMPIRETECANDY again for helping the community :D.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Wish they can make this in a turret form. I honestly don't mind a bigger turret than what we all are normally used to; this is feedback for Dahua. Design-wise, turrets are more aesthetically-pleasing to the eye. :D

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Gotta agree, best experience ever. Going to place another and much bigger order in a month or so.

BSD2000

n3wb
Reaction score
How does the 2831 compare to the Lorex LNB-9232S? I'm looking for a 4k, wide angle, 30fps camera with audio and was comparing the IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS with the Lorex LNB9272S (zoom version of the LNB9232S) and I was wondering what your thoughts are comparing the two since they both seem very similar.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@BSD2000 sorry for the late reply. You're in luck as I own the 9232 as well :) A number of us have assumed (as Lorex does not fully publish their cam specs) that this (9232) is very similar to the 1831 albeit that it looks to use a 2.5" sensor as far as I can tell due to the dramatic differences in picture quality at night. When I say differences I mean not as good as the 1831. I find the image very comparable to the 5831 (which uses a 1/2.5" sensor). So to give you advice here, go for the 1831/2831 cams, they have a lot more configurability than the 9232 and the 1/1.8" sensor is far more sensitive as well. Now that doesn't mean that any 4K cam doesn't need a lot of good light to get a decent night time image (trust me on this one) BUT you have a further degree of flexibility in dialing in a usable image with the Dahuas due to the better sensor and far more options.

The only downside (and I'll admit is something I do miss on the Dahua bullet cams) is no built in audio. The turrets feature it but not the bullet cams. There are ways around this like running external mics and piggy backing them into the cam but that is something that you would be willing to do OR decide if it was a showstopper for you or not. For me, I do like to run audio in at least 2 sides of a property I'm covering so I do have some options for audio capture if needed and I do that with a mix of cams.

In summary, Lorex (especially around Black Friday) run some great deals that can get you a nice starter system, generally saving $100s over the ridiculous MSRP prices they usually sticker at. This system would give you a feature locked (doesn't allow for IVS rules etc that Dahua cams support) NVR BUT can be a nice place to start as you build your system out and augment cams and determine a final NVR strategy (set top box or Blue Iris options). You absolutely will want to augment this system though and the Dahua cams really are a tremendous upgrade at phenomenal prices (thanks to @EMPIRETECANDY and the great deals he offers this community) that will enhance your system.

Now with all that said, I would be remiss if I didn't ask why you want a 4K cam ? The reason for this is that as myself and others can attest and do speak to frequently on this board, megapixels isn't everything and depending on your installation area, use case etc, some of the other cams like the great AI 4MP cams we've been reviewing recently may be a better fit. Not to say 4K doesn't look great in daylight, give you more options for digital zoom (after capture etc) BUT still (except for the latest Ultra AI 4K's which hold promise due to lower apertures like f1.2 but are still being tested here).

Hope that helps and if you do need more assistance in picking a cam, dialing in a 1831/2831 or for the 9232/9272 to that matter, let me know

How does the 2831 compare to the Lorex LNB-9232S? I'm looking for a 4k, wide angle, 30fps camera with audio and was comparing the IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS with the Lorex LNB9272S (zoom version of the LNB9232S) and I was wondering what your thoughts are comparing the two since they both seem very similar.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 you should made an IPCT Contributor :)

By the way, what are your thoughts over the newly released OEM IPC-T2831T-ZS 4k varifocal starlight turret? Has a 1/2.7 sensor instead of the 1/1.8 that we all came to know and love.

@BSD2000 sorry for the late reply. You're in luck as I own the 9232 as well :) A number of us have assumed (as Lorex does not fully publish their cam specs) that this (9232) is very similar to the 1831 albeit that it looks to use a 2.5" sensor as far as I can tell due to the dramatic differences in picture quality at night. When I say differences I mean not as good as the 1831. I find the image very comparable to the 5831 (which uses a 1/2.5" sensor). So to give you advice here, go for the 1831/2831 cams, they have a lot more configurability than the 9232 and the 1/1.8" sensor is far more sensitive as well. Now that doesn't mean that any 4K cam doesn't need a lot of good light to get a decent night time image (trust me on this one) BUT you have a further degree of flexibility in dialing in a usable image with the Dahuas due to the better sensor and far more options.

The only downside (and I'll admit is something I do miss on the Dahua bullet cams) is no built in audio. The turrets feature it but not the bullet cams. There are ways around this like running external mics and piggy backing them into the cam but that is something that you would be willing to do OR decide if it was a showstopper for you or not. For me, I do like to run audio in at least 2 sides of a property I'm covering so I do have some options for audio capture if needed and I do that with a mix of cams.

In summary, Lorex (especially around Black Friday) run some great deals that can get you a nice starter system, generally saving $100s over the ridiculous MSRP prices they usually sticker at. This system would give you a feature locked (doesn't allow for IVS rules etc that Dahua cams support) NVR BUT can be a nice place to start as you build your system out and augment cams and determine a final NVR strategy (set top box or Blue Iris options). You absolutely will want to augment this system though and the Dahua cams really are a tremendous upgrade at phenomenal prices (thanks to @EMPIRETECANDY and the great deals he offers this community) that will enhance your system.

Now with all that said, I would be remiss if I didn't ask why you want a 4K cam ? The reason for this is that as myself and others can attest and do speak to frequently on this board, megapixels isn't everything and depending on your installation area, use case etc, some of the other cams like the great AI 4MP cams we've been reviewing recently may be a better fit. Not to say 4K doesn't look great in daylight, give you more options for digital zoom (after capture etc) BUT still (except for the latest Ultra AI 4K's which hold promise due to lower apertures like f1.2 but are still being tested here).

Hope that helps and if you do need more assistance in picking a cam, dialing in a 1831/2831 or for the 9232/9272 to that matter, let me know

stevob7

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to downgrade from 2.800 to 2.622 with these cameras? If so, are there any specific methods to follow or is it just a regular upload?

Scale

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
I bought IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS-S2 and installed it a week ago.
It is my first IP Dahua camera.
Could you tell me if it is possible this camera record video on SD card and Dahua video recorder simulteniously ?
I want to know it it because if the recorder will be stolen from the home then I will be able to get video from SD card .
Where can I download firmware for this camera?
Thank you in advance.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Scale yes, as @bigredfish mentioned you can do both. As I mentioned elsewhere I do this on almost all installs. My personal preference after testing a number of cards is the Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb which is usually around the $30 mark

Hello,
Could you tell me if it is possible this camera record video on SD card and Dahua video recorder simulteniously ?
I want to know it it because if the recorder will be stolen from the home then I will be able to get video from SD card .
Thank you in advance.

Scale

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Scale yes, as @bigredfish mentioned you can do both. As I mentioned elsewhere I do this on almost all installs. My personal preference after testing a number of cards is the Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb which is usually around the $30 mark
Thank you!
Do I need to make any special settings to write both SD and recorder or I need just install SD card in the camera?
Will camera use cycle writing I mean when the SD card is full to rewrite old data?
My camera supports 256 Gb card.
Have you checked any 256 Gb sdxc cards?

The Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb card is very expensive in my country it costs about 110$.

The Samsung EVO Plus 128Gb UHS-I Class 10 costs 23$ .
Can I use it instead of Samsung Pro Endurance?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
No special settings, just place the SD card in the camera and use the Storage menu and Format.

You can certainly use any SD card (128GB or under) like the EVO Plus (many use that card) just letting you know that in my testing and experience I found (still do) the Pro Endurance to be better overall.

Lastly, Yes the card will be rewritten once full by default.

HTH

Thank you!
Do I need to make any special settings to write both SD and recorder or I need just install SD card in the camera?
Will camera use cycle writing I mean when the SD card is full to rewrite old data?
My camera supports 256 Gb card.
Have you checked any 256 Gb sdxc cards?

The Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb card is very expensive in my country it costs about 110$.

@Scale yes, as @bigredfish mentioned you can do both. As I mentioned elsewhere I do this on almost all installs. My personal preference after testing a number of cards (HERE if interested) is the Samsun Pro Endurance 128gb.

Hello,
Thank you in advance.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

The company itself dedicates the EVO plus to fast writing but normal usage.
The Pro Endurance cost in most places twice as much for a reason: it's meant to be used for IP cams and dash cams because it's meant to enable a constant write and lots of writing cycles.
Don't forget that those memory cards are rewriting data every few days.
If you needed a card for a 4k drown or cell phone, the EVO plus is a right choice for you. But for an IP cam you've better focus on durability over time.
That's all in theory. You never know how long they'd last but the Endurance is made to last longer with lots of writing cycles.
I would advise you to look at Aliexpres for a good seller that sells genuine Samsung Pro Endurance.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Turning down the gamma, the noise reduction and increasing the bitrate
heyy i know this is old but during this time when you had this camera, what gamma, noise reduction (i assume you mean sharpness) and bitrate did you set this to? For me, my day time is: Gamma 49, Sharpness 53 and Bitrate 8192. Night time is Gamma 48, Sharpness 51 and bitrate 8192.

Edit: typo

Last edited: