Shielded cat6 cable

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it possible that the shielded jacks on the Ubiquiti surge protector aren't connected to the grounding point for the device? There is a bit of a physical gap there in the photo. After a lot of years reading expert opinions about grounding (as opposed to bonding), and tackling a few nasty ground loop situations, I'm staunchly in the camp that grounding a conductor to more than one earthing point adds no benefit and can cause a lot of problems. If Ubiquiti is actually doing this, I'll stand up and say that they're wrong. There are enough experts with different opinions that either method can be backed up by an expert.

Deff

n3wb
Reaction score
A lightning surge is a common-mode surge with respect to earth ground.
If the victim is a PoE powered device (PD) with no connection to earth ground (like a PoE camera is...), then there should be no inviting path for the surge current to take through the Camera to return to the ground. In these situations, the normally-used input filter and transient voltage suppressor (TVS) devices included at the front-end of the camera (for conducted emissions filtering and hot-plug transient protection) should also serve to provide adequate lightning surge protection for the camera.
The problem is protecting the other devices inside the house!!! So please stop arguing about connecting the shield to one end only because that is completely pointless, and the Ethernet Surge Protectors (ETH-SP) in the scheme connect exactly to BOTH ENDS of the shields of the Ethernet cables via the shields of the RJ45 plugs going in and out the Ethernet Surge Protectors, as shown in the photo. What's the part you can't understand?

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, people. Just wow.
Anyway, the OP was asking if he could make use of his free cable. It seems to me that yes, he could use it but due to its property of being not only shielded overall, but indeed each pair is shielded, that the PITA factor would be huge, especially as he’s approaching it as has-shield, must-utilize-shield.
But it is also true that he COULD simply ignore the shielding, stripping all of the shielding away at each connection and use standard RJ45 ends and move on. Having unused shielding present would cause zero electrical issues but the PITA factor remains high. (Note that everyone was in agreement that shielding was not needed)

Last edited:
Reaction score
RJ45 plugs (even the screened good quality ones) do not accept solid wires and the crimps tool struggle with them.
I don't know about the rest of your post, stopped reading at this statement, which is bogus. Do not accept solid wires? Since when? That is all I have used and never had a crimp fail.

Also, realize this post is over TWO YEARS old! I would imagine the job is done by now.

Hey @stevep what did you end up doing?

Deff

n3wb
Reaction score
Make a little effort and read after: "By the way, if somehow you can sort out the problem, good for you".
No bogus from me, just being practical...such crimp tools (like you surely have got) are normally not in the toolbox of an end user...they're definitely for professionals, given also their price. Ultimately I hope he could manage to do that and that he was successful, since.

Video1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quick question.

I ordered this cable for a run from the house to the front of the lot. It'll be run inside conduit even though it's rated for direct burial. 1000ft Cat6e 550 MHz Shielded Solid Direct Burial Outdoor Bulk Ethernet Cable, Black

I'm unclear on the whole idea of grounding. Do I need to run a ground wire from the pole/tree/6x6 wood post where the cameras are going to be mounted?

I have these RJ45 jacks that are claimed to be shielded. Are these adequate? Amazon.com: RJ45 23AWG Cat6a Cat6 Connector Gold Plated 8P8C Pass Through Shield Plug (50Packs): Industrial & Scientific
Otherwise I've found these but their double the money: Shielded RJ45 Connector for CAT6, CAT6A, CAT7 Solid and Stranded Cable

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.