Shining a layzer into a camera?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a neighbor, which I've mentioned here before in a few threads...
I watched him the other night sneak down and shine a la ser pointer into one of my cameras. (I think it was a la ser) The beam did not look too wide to be a flashlight. Either the person had horrible aim or something, because watching the video back I see nothing blinding the camera at all. I only see a little light from whatever the person is holding, which didn't seem to be a flashlight.

I'm curious what damage would be done to a 4MP Dahua camera by this? I imagine it's just a cheap red laser, not sure. The neighbor isn't too bright in any form.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a neighbor, which I've mentioned here before in a few threads...
I watched him the other night sneak down and shine a la ser pointer into one of my cameras. (I think it was a la ser) The beam did not look too wide to be a flashlight. Either the person had horrible aim or something, because watching the video back I see nothing blinding the camera at all. I only see a little light from whatever the person is holding, which didn't seem to be a flashlight.

I'm curious what damage would be done to a 4MP Dahua camera by this? I imagine it's just a cheap red laser, not sure. The neighbor isn't too bright in any form.
The higher power 1w green lasers can actually burn your camera sensors. Normally you have to be somewhat close - however they can burn the sensor which results in permanent spots/dots on the images

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I imagined so with a green, that's why I mentioned it was probably a red as this person is an idiot in every aspect. This person doing it was about 15 feet away. As I said, I didn't see any blinding during the video, I wouldn't have known anything was going on unless I saw the little dot of light in the person's hand at the time.

I'm hoping they do it some more :)

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll be honest, if you can see how I've worded some things, I'm trying to prevent this post from coming up in google. I know my neighbor has been given information by someone on this topic, and that person thinks they are a bigshot. So I know they would search online and probably find this post. So I'm trying to prevent identifying myself. I may make a vid soon and share it with members by PM if they are interested. (I'm being a pain, but I'm weird lol)

The last thing I want is others to know what kind of view my cameras get (since some think they can hide from the field of view and break laws, by violating protective orders, harassment, etc.) My cameras do not break any law.

Anyone interested in seeing the video post and once I create it, I will PM it to those.
This person has a problem, the only thing I have done is defend myself legally by lawsuits and other things. I do not bother this person, I do not provoke this person. This person has a problem with others who live their life. This person gets worse if you ignore them, this person doesn't like being told what to do, thinks they can walk onto anyone's property and do as they please. This neighbor has found out real quick that I'm not the kind of person you will push around and bully. If I could tell all the stories, it'd take months. I'm slicker than one might think, and this gets the neighbor nowhere ;)

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah...dramas are often complex. I'm far too simple. :)

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not the only one who has problems with this person, about 6 others in the area do also. He has problems, mental or something.

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please PM me the video. You could set up a bunch of dummy cameras and watch him waste his time. Of course, then you're just wasting your time.
Also, even at 15 feet, aiming by hand to hit and hold the laser on a bulls-eye that's smaller than a dime (the lens) would be extremely difficult. Given, he does have the camera's housing as a target, but with no visible confirmation that his attempt worked, the process would test his patience. I would be worried about what he'll try next, like rocks or a baseball.

Last edited by a moderator:

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not worried about them getting damaged as he will be paying for them. I was just wondering if a laser would damage a 4MP Dahua quicker than some cheaper camera. He has major issues, very jealous.