Shooting Range recorded clips skipping a lot of the action. Live video looks just fine.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a shooting range with a camera on every single lane. When looking at live feeds, everything looks just fine, but when we review video clips sometimes a lot of the action is skipped. For instance we have had a few guys have a negligent discharge (gun fires by "accident") and this is exactly the type of footage we need to view. However, often times we record the before and after, but the action in the middle where the gun went off is missing. I'm sure it has something to do with my recording settings but I don't know where to look so I would appreciate any advice. Right now I have every camera setup to record on motion and I believe it is mostly the default settings.

When someone is shooting, often they hold very still and when they fire there is a little recoil and some smoke, and often they go right back into the same position, aim and fire again. I have a feeling the issue is with my motion sensor and/or object detection settings. What do you think?

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Uncheck the object detection as that is used to eliminate false triggers and you have the opposite issue going on.

Change to Simple algorithm.

Change make time to 0.1 or 0.

Consider a longer break time if you cannot do 24/7 recording.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Uncheck the object detection as that is used to eliminate false triggers and you have the opposite issue going on.

Change to Simple algorithm.

Change make time to 0.1 or 0.

Consider a longer break time if you cannot do 24/7 recording.
Thank you. I will make these changes and check the results.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you’ll fight it no matter what unless you go to full time recording. Add motion on top of that to easily find obvious movement to get close. I assume BI can do both?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, Blue Iris can record 24/7 and then also have alert clips associated with motion, so you could easily pull up when someone came in or left for example and then watch just their time in the range.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was concerned about how long I could retain footage if I go to continuous recording, or even continuous recording during business hours. I checked my data folders today and I still have footage available from last August. I have a total of 18 TB of storage and 55 cameras right now. It does look like the suggested changes are making a huge improvement though. I will search the docs some more and see if I can figure out how to configure both continuous recording during business hours, and motion recording all other times.

Last edited:

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
scheduling and profiles are what you want. ex: Profile 1 on each cam is set to continuous record. Profile 2 only when triggered. then just schedule when each profile is active. easy in BI

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
scheduling and profiles are what you want. ex: Profile 1 on each cam is set to continuous record. Profile 2 only when triggered. then just schedule when each profile is active. easy in BI
Easy enough. Thanks for the info

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no prob. will take some time to set the profiles on 55 cams, but you only have to do it once. then use the global schedule (not per cam) to change the active profile. though you may wish to have cams on entry doors, etc to continuously record 24/7 so you dont risk missing a trigger on a break in.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Set your profiles relative to local sunrise and sunset, leaving enough "padding" to handle dusk and pre-sunrise low light conditions as well.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Set your profiles relative to local sunrise and sunset, leaving enough "padding" to handle dusk and pre-sunrise low light conditions as well.
As a business, I would set my profiles based on business hours.

Also, you could increase the length of video to record on each trigger (Break Time). I don't know what the max is but have done 30-45 seconds on my system successfully. But you still may miss video if they are very still for longer than that.

In addition, If you really need to record on triggers only (and with 18TB of storage I personally think you could do continuous recording....unless the time from incident to reporting to review is measured in weeks) I would uncheck the Object Detection option 'Reset Detector When' and I would reduce the object travels to a ridiculously low value like 5 or 10...that might be enough to catch even a small recoil movement...i would also set a 'pre-trigger video buffer' of at least 1 second (and work upward from there if missing video prior to the trigger) to be sure to record the actual moments prior to the weapon firing.

You can use this tool to get a good idea of what duration of video / how much storage to use in order to make sure you are still meeting your business needs by recording continuously:
IPCT Video/HD Calculator

Lastly, as has already been mentioned, I agree that it would benefit you to reduce the Min Duration to something between 0.0 and 0.5

Edit: Typos. Addendum. :)

Last edited: