Should I deactivate BI for a computer wipe/rebuild?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Need to wipe a computer and re-build with Windows 11. Should I deactivate BI first then export my BI reg file?
Then after installing a new copy of Blue Iris, import the registry file and activate my license (all in that order), or does it matter?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, deactivate BI before doing a rebuild. But before doing that, click on the gear icon on the top left of the console screen and click on "Email Support". That will copy your license information to the clipboard of the PC. Paste that into Wordpad, Notepad or the editor of you choice and make a printout so you have a hard copy of your license number. Then deactivate BI and rebuild. Why you're going to Win11 is up to you, but Win10 works fine for BI and DeepStack.

Last edited:

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, deactivate BI before doing a rebuild. But before doing that, click on the gear icon on the top left of the console screen and click on "Emil Support". That will copy your license information to the clipboard of the PC. Paste that into Wordpad, Notepad or the editor of you choice and make a printout so you have a hard copy of your license number. The deactivate BI and rebuild. Why you're going to Win11 is up to you, but Win10 works fine for BI and DeepStack.
Well I have to rebuild this pc due to issues with it running (my fault) but I have my other PC's up on Windows 11 and like a few of the features in Win 11 for my other apps and use. Thanks.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Up to you, but if wWin10 ain't broke why fix it? I'll be on Win10 beyond the no support date, it's firewalled and protected pretty well so I'm not worried about security issues. As far as functionality, how much do you need to run BI? WIn11 is way more intrusive than Win10 and bloated even further. As I said, your choice if you like the bells and whistles.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^+1 - it has been a mixed bag here on Win11 - some have had no issues and others have had big problems with it and BI.

I'd suggest wipe it clean and reinstall Win10. At the very least you get to keep Explorer that some of these cameras still need.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your BI computer shouldn't be used for anything other than BI, so there is no need for "new features" in Win 11.
As others have noted, some are having issue's with BI and Win 11.
Being bleeding edge can and will give you heart burn.

My daily driver is still using Win 7, and that ain't gonna change anytime soon.