Should i go with higher res on the expense of low light performance?

ofirk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I live in an apartment building and my apartment has a back yard.
Above me are about 6 floors (20m) with balconies. I want to buy a camera that will be able to detect which of my neighbors is constantly throwing cigarette buds into my yard.

The yard is not in complete darkness at night as it is facing the street so my logic says i need a high res camera to be able to detect small objects such as cigarette buds flying into my yard on the expense of low light performance.
Am i in the ballpark? can someone recommend a good ip cam for my use case?

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is not going to matter which resolution you pick. It will be difficult to see falling cigarettes either way. The only way you are going to catch them with a camera is if you put the camera way out back so it can see over the balconies well enough to identify which tenants are smoking, and that won't take much of a camera to do unless they are never visible over their balconies.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is not going to matter which resolution you pick. It will be difficult to see falling cigarettes either way. The only way you are going to catch them with a camera is if you put the camera way out back so it can see over the balconies well enough to identify which tenants are smoking, and that won't take much of a camera to do unless they are never visible over their balconies.
Hi bp2008,

What he needs is a good thermal camera! Catch the light cigs ....

ofirk

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunatly im limited to my yards length, which isnt much.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would then need to sample all of my neighbors for dna too, quite the hustle o_O
Hi ofirk

No you would not need to sample all of the neighbors - just the ones who smoke that live above you.... and maybe even less depending on the results...

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you approached the apartment manger or tried posting a bulletin? The offenders may not know that their smoking is affecting you. Also if it is only one type of cigarette chances are it’s only one person. Also it probably wouldn’t take long of just standing in the yard or setting in a vehicle within view to figure out who it is. I bet if it was brought to their attention in a passive way that it would stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ofirk

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you approached the apartment manger or tried posting a bulletin? The offenders may not know that their smoking is affecting you. Also if it is only one type of cigarette chances are it’s only one person. Also it probably wouldn’t take long of just standing in the yard or setting in a vehicle within view to figure out who it is. I bet if it was brought to their attention in a passive way that it would stop.

this is in my opinion the best approach.
unfortunatly i was down that path already... i asked them nicely but it seems it didnt make much difference.
i also suspect it is not just one person, i found different types of cigarettes.
if it happened on a daily basis it would be no trouble staking out the premises and finding the culprit, but it happens only a few times a month.
honestly it wouldnt really bother me if it was just some litter, but it caused damage to property in my yard which really pissed me off.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
this is in my opinion the best approach.
unfortunatly i was down that path already... i asked them nicely but it seems it didnt make much difference.
i also suspect it is not just one person, i found different types of cigarettes.
if it happened on a daily basis it would be no trouble staking out the premises and finding the culprit, but it happens only a few times a month.
honestly it wouldnt really bother me if it was just some litter, but it caused damage to property in my yard which really pissed me off.
I had a neighbor once whose dog kept shitting in my yard. I shoveled it all up until I had a bucket full. I then dumped it all on the porch in front of their front door. So in the mean time save all those butts. Once you figure out who all is flicking butts you can at least get the message across.

ofirk

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a neighbor once whose dog kept shitting in my yard. I shoveled it all up until I had a bucket full. I then dumped it all on the porch in front of their front door. So in the mean time save all those butts. Once you figure out who all is flicking butts you can at least get the message across.

lol sweet revenge :rofl:
Hope i'll find him soon.

What is considered the best cam with high res and good low light combo these days?