Should I have kept Win7 Ver4 ?

steve491

n3wb
Reaction score
My dedicated PC is an i7-4770, 16GB, 4TB purple, old HP work station.
I had WIn7 Pro and Version 4 installed and it ran less than 20% CPU, beautiful.
I was worried about Win7 not being supported with Ver5 (wanted Ver5) and upgraded.
Bought a 120GB SSD, installed Win10 Pro, upgraded to Ver5. Everything went flawless, everything worked as it used to.

CPU went from 16% to 60%..?!

All BI settings are the same. Changes are as followes:
1. Win7 pro to Win 10 pro
2. Added SSD for Win10 and BI. Storage on 4TB purple
3. Upgraded from BI4 to BI5

Win 10 uses around 20% just idling. Any Win 10 gurus here? BTW, my personal PC is Win10 pro and it idles fine.

TIA
Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My dedicated PC is an i7-4770, 16GB, 4TB purple, old HP work station.
I had WIn7 Pro and Version 4 installed and it ran less than 20% CPU, beautiful.
I was worried about Win7 not being supported with Ver5 (wanted Ver5) and upgraded.
Bought a 120GB SSD, installed Win10 Pro, upgraded to Ver5. Everything went flawless, everything worked as it used to.

CPU went from 16% to 60%..?!

All BI settings are the same. Changes are as followes:
1. Win7 pro to Win 10 pro
2. Added SSD for Win10 and BI. Storage on 4TB purple
3. Upgraded from BI4 to BI5

Win 10 uses around 20% just idling. Any Win 10 gurus here? BTW, my personal PC is Win10 pro and it idles fine.

TIA
Steve
This has nothing to do with w10 or the bi version. Your cpu consumption would actually be lower.
You either dont have the same settings or are running the demo.
Ensure that you do a clean windows 10 install, if you did an in place upgrade all bets are off.

steve491

n3wb
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with w10 or the bi version. Your cpu consumption would actually be lower.
You either dont have the same settings or are running the demo.
Ensure that you do a clean windows 10 install, if you did an in place upgrade all bets are off.
This is why I'm confused.
I exported BI settings from 4 and imported into a full new install of 5. I consider that the exact same BI settings. Plus it's not BI that's using CPU, it's Windows system and a couple other processes.
Not running demo mode, it's registered.
Did a full clean install of Win10 from DVD on a brand new SSD.

I guess if I can't get Win10 optimized my next option would be another clean install.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is why I'm confused.
I exported BI settings from 4 and imported into a full new install of 5. I consider that the exact same BI settings. Plus it's not BI that's using CPU, it's Windows system and a couple other processes.
Not running demo mode, it's registered.
Did a full clean install of Win10 from DVD on a brand new SSD.

I guess if I can't get Win10 optimized my next option would be another clean install.
Do a clean install using the MS Media Creation tool.
Be sure to exclude any BI folders from any Antivirus you have.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
win 10 pro "idle" shouldn't be 20%... what are the other processes you are referring to that are consuming CPU?

i have an slower/less memory configuration, i5-4670 2.3MHz and only 8MB of memory, what at idle is 6% (used for web surfing and such). there is something not happy within the OS...

after the new install, are all the devices "known" and have working drivers (no yellow triangles shown from device manager). upload a snapshot of task manager having sorted by CPU usage.

steve491

n3wb
Reaction score
win 10 pro "idle" shouldn't be 20%... what are the other processes you are referring to that are consuming CPU?

i have an slower/less memory configuration, i5-4670 2.3MHz and only 8MB of memory, what at idle is 6% (used for web surfing and such). there is something not happy within the OS...

after the new install, are all the devices "known" and have working drivers (no yellow triangles shown from device manager). upload a snapshot of task manager having sorted by CPU usage.
I agree. Windows 10 at idle shouldn't be 20%. My main PC is Windows 10 Pro and it sits idle at 2%. The BI machine must have a problem with 10. I re-installed 10 last week and same issue. I did a fresh install of Win7 Pro today and it idles perfect. As of this post I don't have BI installed yet.

Fenderman seemed to think that it was not Win 10 or the BI. Obviously it was. He seems to be very quick to blame.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. Windows 10 at idle shouldn't be 20%. My main PC is Windows 10 Pro and it sits idle at 2%. The BI machine must have a problem with 10. I re-installed 10 last week and same issue. I did a fresh install of Win7 Pro today and it idles perfect. As of this post I don't have BI installed yet.

Fenderman seemed to think that it was not Win 10 or the BI. Obviously it was. He seems to be very quick to blame.
I know its not windows 10, because there are many users here with systems running 10 that dont have your issue. There a millions of other w10 users who dont have your 20 percent Idle issue. I dont have the 20 percent idle issue on the 100+ windows pc's I deal with regularly. Your issue is user error. Possibly a driver related to your specific hardware. I do blame you for the user error - i did that quickly too.