Should I move this camera ?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently I have a hikvision 4mp 4mm 2343WD-I mounted under the soffit and I'm thinking of moving the camera lower where the red circle is in the picture. There is a little ledge above my garage that I can Mount the camera too. Now the ledge is about 7 feet from the ground with the camera mounted under it your looking around 6,11 feet from the ground, would that be to low ? I know mounting it lower would give people the ability to steal it easier, but I think I would get a better face shot if it's mounted lower. What do you all think should I keep it where it's at or move it to the lower location. Oh And i would also have to worry about large vehicles moving in the garage making sure it doesn't get hit. Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got a night shot from the camera? When I had my turret that far under the soffit I got a lot of reflection from the IR lights.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got a night shot from the camera? When I had my turret that far under the soffit I got a lot of reflection from the IR lights.
There is not a reflection from the IR I'll see if I can post a picture tonight

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
A bit lower wouldn't hurt it but don't let it hang down below the level of the garage door frame. That's just asking for trouble. It's already mounted and if you park vehicles in your driveway then the extra height will allow you to see over them a bit better. Moving it to near a side corner of the door will allow you to see directly out the driveway plus get better cross coverage for the whole front of your property if it's a typical bungalow setup. 4mm is a bit shorter than I usually mount for driveway cams as well. 6mm minimum for distant ID pics. And by distant I mean more than about 20'.

Angle it to one side a bit and use it for a "what's happening" camera, then mount a Dahua 5231 Starlight turret on the other side of that light as your driveway ID camera and zoom it in for getting great mug shots.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A bit lower wouldn't hurt it but don't let it hang down below the level of the garage door frame. That's just asking for trouble. It's already mounted and if you park vehicles in your driveway then the extra height will allow you to see over them a bit better. Moving it to near a side corner of the door will allow you to see directly out the driveway plus get better cross coverage for the whole front of your property if it's a typical bungalow setup. 4mm is a bit shorter than I usually mount for driveway cams as well. 6mm minimum for distant ID pics. And by distant I mean more than about 20'.

Angle it to one side a bit and use it for a "what's happening" camera, then mount a Dahua 5231 Starlight turret on the other side of that light as your driveway ID camera and zoom it in for getting great mug shots.

I agree I should I got a 6mm but I can alway replace it with the starlight and use the 4mm I have now for something else. So you think it's a bad idea to mount it to the garage door frame? Me and my wife both drive a standard size car so we would be ok going in and out,but if we ever decided to buy a SUV or truck we might be in trouble. I'm thinking of mounting to under the soffit but to the left side because on that side is also the side walk for the front door. Anyway I guess I'm stuck with it where it's at for now, the hole as already been drilled and something would have to go in its place, I'll post pic of the camera view, thanks for the help .

Attachments

Last edited:

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This gives you somewhat of a idea of the view of the camera. The pic with the car is also zoomed in

Attachments

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't think I'd go through the trouble of moving it. Replacing and repurposing it? Yep.