Should I Upgrade?

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've held off upgrading from V4 to V5, because the current system just works.

This is the spec of the machine it is currently installed on:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600S @ 2.80GHz 60 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0YXT71 (CPU 1)
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1920x1080@32Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Dell)
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FYPS-27Y2B0 (SATA) 29 °C
Optical Drives
PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Should I upgrade?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
@lusk - I am in the same boat as you. Just purchased a license for version 5. I have read that folks have posted most of the bugs for the upgrade have been worked out and will most likely upgrade really soon. I am planning on doing that when I have enough time set aside just in case something goes wrong to be able to address it. I, like you, have the system dialed in and I'm fearful that I might screw that up. :) I was also debating on getting a new PC to run this on and migrate to that as a part of this exercise.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am still waiting, Software is like wine it takes time to mature to where it is palatable. :)

I am planning on get a newer (used) PC to run the new BI on with windows 10. Still waiting....May wait until January, there just seems to be a lot of main line problems.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Same boat too. Wanting to upgrade machines as well as OS since Windows 7 is in it's EOL. Does BI Work just as well on Pro as Home of Windows 10?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am leaning to windows 10 pro as it easily supports remote desktop access to the BI PC. This is an important feature for me. But there are other ways to do the same thing in windows home.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had Bi 5 running. After a Win Update, and then the latest update of Bi required Visual C++, which failed to install, and now I cannot use Bi5. I had to revert to v4 running fine.

On another system the new version installed the VisualC++ and Bi boots, but the cameras are in and out with no recording or functionality. They are in for a second and out for a few minutes.
This was on a new install of Win10Pro on a new box with i7 8700 with onboard graphics chip 630.

I emailed Bi support with no answer as of yet. Only been a couple days.

cage771

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is odd. I run Win10 Pro 64 bit on an i7-4770 with onboard graphics. Latest updates and no issues. While this is a newer machine, my previous Win10 Pro 64 build had no issue either with BI 5.....and I installed the day after it was released.

As for remote connections on the LAN, I am not a fan of Windows Remote Desktop. I like Tight VNC better. From my experience, Win RDP is more resource intensive versus TVNC. Plus I transfer files a lot and I like how TVNC handles that process better. Of course, to each their own.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A suggestion to turn off Hardware acceleration has fixed the in/out of the cameras, but not all is clear yet.
I still have 1 camera doing this , on for a few seconds off for a few minutes. Odd. I restarted camera. I'll do a full reboot with unplug of the switches and router and see what happens.

So one of my systems is almost working normal, while the other system cant even run Biv5 due to not being able to install VC++. I tried the download link from MS, and still crashes on install.

Last edited:

rajuabju

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm still waiting another little while before going to BI5. New software is always buggy at first and I dont like being a beta tester personally (Some people love it)

Arfsdad

n3wb
Reaction score
I am leaning to windows 10 pro as it easily supports remote desktop access to the BI PC. This is an important feature for me. But there are other ways to do the same thing in windows home.
For my needs Chrome Remote Desktop was a better choice, I use it >12 hrs/day with flawless operation.