should newer generation of the same camera look better?

sirius682

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking for 2 LPR camera for my driveways. I settle for the Dahua HFW5241E-Z5E, but because of the shortage there was only 1 left on aliexpress so i settle for 1 5241 and 1 HFW5231E-Z5E, which is supposed to have the same focal lenght and same sensor, but a tiny worst aperture at F/1.4 instead of F/1.3 in the 5241. When i put them side by side with full manual setting & focus and pretty much every bell & whistle such as 3d noise reduction OFF, i notice that the 5231 has a lot less noise and it's not just the contrast or sharpness that i'm talking, i can resolve more information and read text more clearly with the 5231. i tried to change the pictures setting to match the look of the 5231, but could achieve the same result. the screenshot has been took with all picture setting at default & stream bitrate and exposure setting same in manual. i also tried to update the firmware of the 5241, but it is still more grainy that the 5231

the question: Is it something that happen sometime with new generation of ip camera to degrade the image quality in exchange for more AI stuff even though it's the same sensor or it's a fluke/ defective unit?

it's not the end of the world for me as it should be plenty close to capture the plate with 35mm of zoom, but i'm just wondering for my future buy

Capture d'écran 2021-11-22 22.08.55.png
Capture d'écran 2021-11-22 21.31.46.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many have commented that the 5X4X series cameras come across more digital than the predecessor 5X3X series cameras (not just the LPR cams, but all the Dahua line). Knocking down sharpness can mitigate it somewhat.

sirius682

n3wb
Reaction score
Many have commented that the 5X4X series cameras come across more digital than the predecessor 5X3X series cameras (not just the LPR cams, but all the Dahua line). Knocking down sharpness can mitigate it somewhat.
Thank you for the feedback, at least i know i'm not crazy :)

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll definitely have to try to keep this in mind when I start swapping out some of my cams. Thanks for the info!

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score