Silicone on Mounting Bracket?

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering if it's worth sealing the edges of the hikvision mounting bracket with silicone sealant to make sure water doesn't get it or is that being unecessarily excessive?

Also when sealing holes, do I need to do it from the inside and outside or just one of them?

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no need to use such a sealant on the mounting bracket. Cameras are usually sealed where the cable enters the camera, and the mounting bracket itself is not designed to keep water out.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is no need to use such a sealant on the mounting bracket. Cameras are usually sealed where the cable enters the camera, and the mounting bracket itself is not designed to keep water out.
Oh ok. Thanks.

Also what about the holes where the wires enter the building? I don't want water coming inside, so is it best to seal from outside and inside or just one?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd seal the hole on both sides, if possible, though the outside is the most important as that will be where water gets in. You don't really want bugs getting into a wall cavity through an interior hole either.

Most of my camera cables enter into my uninsulated / unheated garage, where bugs get in no matter what so I don't bother to seal those holes. But if I was to drill through an insulated wall for example, then I'd definitely want to seal on the outside, and probably the inside too.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd seal the hole on both sides, if possible, though the outside is the most important as that will be where water gets in. You don't really want bugs getting into a wall cavity through an interior hole either.

Most of my camera cables enter into my uninsulated / unheated garage, where bugs get in no matter what so I don't bother to seal those holes. But if I was to drill through an insulated wall for example, then I'd definitely want to seal on the outside, and probably the inside too.
Thanks, I appreciate the help