Simple (inexpensive) power supply solution for 12 volts

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After mounting my PTZ camera in the woods I temporarily ran 100' of premade cat5 cable that I got off Amazon. Even with a POE+ switch the camera wouldn't function. Buy cheap cable, get cheap cable. As I was intending to install several IR sources out there, I had planned on running a separate 12v line. Initially I used an old linear 25 amp supply but the voltage adjustment pot was sketchy and the output kept changing.

A quick search of Amazon showed many inexpensive switching power supplies that weighed a pound or 2 vs the 30lb behemoth I was using. I ended up buying a 30a model - figuring the most current I would draw would be no more than 15a. I also ordered an automotive type fuse block, a small round digital voltmeter and a plastic box for the meter. Grand total - about $40.

The 1st power supply was DOA but I had a replacement from Amazon in 24hrs. The fan is too loud for installation in an occupied space. I mounted it all on a piece of 3/4 plywood and attached it to the basement wall. Sound isn't an issue there, perhaps in a closed closet it would be ok.

1579368167062.png

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would really recommend investing in a meanwell sealed unit. Condensation and the temperature range may be of importance to you too.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would really recommend investing in a meanwell sealed unit. Condensation and the temperature range may be of importance to you too.
Thanks but its located inside the basement on the wall in a room that contains the proverbial boatload of electronics. My entire basement is conditioned so not much swing in temp or humidity.

Your point is well taken if the basement environment wasn't controlled.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks but its located inside the basement on the wall in a room that contains the proverbial boatload of electronics. My entire basement is conditioned so not much swing in temp or humidity.

Your point is well taken if the basement environment wasn't controlled.
My bad- when you said 'woods' I thought this was a shed run. Yeah, you'd be a bit screwed if your basement is like that.