Simple Software

Reaction score
Dear IP Cam Talk,

I am working on a project to give the operators of large construction machines tablets which will show the image from a camera so they can see behind them. The operators need a very simple app which just shows the image, and can zoom in/out. No bells and whistles.

I am looking for such an app which can be 'white-labelled' or customized. Is Blue Iris a good option? Are there any other solutions I should be looking for?

Many thanks,
George

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How large of machines? Why do they need zoom?

If this is just a supplement to a rear-view mirror then I suggest just buying a backup camera kit. It will be an analog camera but that makes it pretty much foolproof and low latency too.

Reaction score
Hi bp2008. Thanks for the response.

We've got the hardware all sorted (there are some difficult/unique requirements). We're just looking for help on the software side- how to view the image on the tablet. Any recommendations for an app we reach out to see if they'll customize it for us, or would let us rent/whitelabel from them?

Thanks,
George

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I can appreciate being given stupid requirements. I can't think of any software that would be suited for this, however. Any number of simple media players could load the live stream, and maybe even let you (digitally) zoom in and out, but unless you are willing to fork over serious money I doubt you will find such a thing that you can put your own brand on. Except of course if you modified an open source project yourself, but I figure if that was an option you wouldn't be here asking.

Reaction score
We have a moderate budget for this. And customizing an open source project our self is also an option (we've briefly looked at something called Shinobi).

This is a new type of project for us, so we were hoping to get a sense of which direction we should be heading in regarding the apps. All we need is an app that displays the image and has a zoom function (and ideally auto-detects the camera). We're not sure if such an app exists already or if, as you said, we should be looking to pay someone to design it from scratch. Most apps we've found are too complicated for our end users.