Simplest way to see cams on tv

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve seen a bunch of threads on this, but they often seem to be rather complex! I’ll summarise my situation:

• NVR - Dahua nvr5216-16p-4ks2e
  • 6 cams (all Dahua) directly connected via Cat6 to NVR POE ports
  • NVR directly connected to router via Ethernet patch lead
  • NVR currently just controlled via the direct GUI from my desktop or iPad
  • tv in lounge (older Panasonic plasma). I’m out of hdmi spare ports, but could add a switch at the tv? TV is about 15m from NVR, but I can get cabling under the floor. TV is connected to my network via Ethernet, but it’s functionality in this respect is rather limited

So would the easiest way to see cams on the TV be via a direct HDMI cable? If so, does the HDMI-out on the back of the NVR just emulate what you’re seeing on an interface (such as the web GUI), or can it be set to always display, say, a split screen showing a quick view of all cams live?

Help would be great!

Thanks all,
Mat

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So would the easiest way to see cams on the TV be via a direct HDMI cable?
Most likely.
If so, does the HDMI-out on the back of the NVR just emulate what you’re seeing on an interface (such as the web GUI), or can it be set to always display, say, a split screen showing a quick view of all cams live?
Generally, "yes", but perhaps if you state the make and model of the NVR someone might be familiar enough with it to give you proper direction on that.

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So would the easiest way to see cams on the TV be via a direct HDMI cable? If so, does the HDMI-out on the back of the NVR just emulate what you’re seeing on an interface (such as the web GUI), or can it be set to always display, say, a split screen showing a quick view of all cams live?
I've hooked my NVR up for testing purpose up to a monitor via the back of the NVR's HDMI out. It shows you a split screen of all cameras. You can use a mouse to right click and it'll bring you to the menu options.
So essentially it will be the same if you hook the nvr via HDMI up to your TV. Just need to put it on channel HDMI and you'll see the split screens.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I've hooked my NVR up for testing purpose up to a monitor via the back of the NVR's HDMI out. It shows you a split screen of all cameras. You can use a mouse to right click and it'll bring you to the menu options.
So essentially it will be the same if you hook the nvr via HDMI up to your TV. Just need to put it on channel HDMI and you'll see the split screens.
You’d also need to send the mouse unless happy with whatever is displayed?

fousa

n3wb
Reaction score
I've my NVR in a cabinet. Because I don't have HDMI cable in walls to the living room TV, but have UTP cable, I bought HDMI to RJ45 passive adapters (supposedly up to 30m). You can configure the "Tour" feature in your NVR

Attachments

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@fenderman has mentioned before about a TV modulator. It adds the feed like an extra TV channel to any TV in the house.

You can buy HDMI TV modulators which take an HDMI in. Like HDMI from the NVR and outputs over the TV coax line.
----Or-----
(Shared by Fenderman) An IP TV modulator which takes streams from the DVR/NVR/Camera. Anywhere there is an Ethernet cable with access camera streams to the TV coax line.

Otherwise HDMI over IP but this needs a spare HDMI free on the TV.

A mouse could be a wireless one; you wouldn't be able to use the IP TV modulator with a mouse (it works independent to NVR).

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking about chrome cast then I read you had an old plasma.
Does anyone reckon wireless hdmi would work?
food for thought

I actually have a Chromecast plugged into one of the HDMI ports... So how would this work?

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nah i don't think it works because you'd need to trigger mirror on the sending device.
dun think nvr has that capability like a PC/mobile...and compatibility as well.

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So it looks like I should just crawl under the house with a long (and I assume basic quality) HDMI cable and permanently hook it up from the rear port on the NVR to an HDMI-in port on the telly. I tend to use an ipad at home, so I can look at anything I need on that, so the TV would mostly be for a quick overview of a split screen of all cams. The idea is for when the missus is home alone and there's a, "What was that noise!?" or a "WTF are the dogs barking at now!?" moment, she could just change to "HDMI3" or something on the telly and quickly/easily see all cams. I assume there'd be no interaction with the NVR ("view only"), but I suspect with 6 cams, a split screen would look pretty sharp and tell you what you needed to know?

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can view my cameras through my Apple TV. If you have one, maybe explore that rout?