SimpliSafe & Blue Iris (A Match made in Heaven)

Discussion in 'Alarm & Security Systems' started by Tiger_Claw, Aug 23, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Tiger_Claw

Tiger_Claw Getting the hang of it

I have both cats and dogs and my system is working great.

Your system clearly deserves its own dedicated thread. Don't worry, I won't bash it like you enjoy doing here.

Tiger

2. smiticans

smiticans Getting the hang of it

Because you restrict access to where the motions are installed...

I'm not bashing your particular system. I'm bashing simpliSafe for the lack of options of sensors. They claim their system is superior, and make other false claims on their website, yet, they only offer very basic components.

I'm sorry If I offended you, my purpose was to educate other forum members who might be considering an alarm system. The dialog is important so they can see the pros and cons of each system and draw their own conclusion.

3. Tiger_Claw

Tiger_Claw Getting the hang of it

All your doing is attempting to make SimpliSafe look like a bad choice. It isn't. Most people don't need optional Motion Sensors and Glass Breaks technology. It's just another form of selling a different product and making similar claims like SimpliSafe.

In all honesty I could tear into each of your listed con's, but I won't. I don't need to. SimpliSafe is awesome if installed correctly and with enough devices covering your home. Door and window contacts alone aren't enough with any brand of system. That would be a basic install.

Your right about one thing. People do need to be educated. There is simple and more complex systems. Each can provide a level of awareness and protection if installed correctly.

My personal vote is for more people to get a system installed before getting burglarized. Sadly, most don't until after the crime is committed.

I also want to STRESS the extreme importance of connecting an audible alarm to your system. That is your #1 means of raising the stress level of the intruder and getting them to bail the scene ASAP.

Again folks....

If you can afford it, get IP PoE cameras as well and consider using Blue Iris and its mobile app. Cameras outside provide a visual deterant as well.

Yes; camera's are my primary line of defence at providing visual awareness. This is important with any security system. Analog, IP or even fully wireless systems like Netgear Arlo can help you achieve this. Each system has its pros and cons. That's the nature of things and for the consumer to decide what they can afford, etc.

What makes me happy is when people add a layer of protection to his/her home, property, etc.

Tiger

4. fbnoise

fbnoise Getting the hang of it

Logical points, thanks. I don't have huge pets, but I do like the idea of the heat detectors in the attic and garage and may look into it myself for that reason.

5. smiticans

No problem, generally speaking, 194° heat detectors are used in attics and 135° heat detectors are used in garages, boiler rooms, kitchens etc. Honeywell only offers a wireless 135° heat detector. If you need the heat detectors in the attic to be wireless, you can use the System Sensor 5604 heat detector in conjunction with the Honeywell 5817CBXT wireless fire transmitter.

fcol likes this.
  6. smiticans

SimpliSafe could be a good or bad choice depending on an individuals needs and wants for future expansion and customization. In your case, SimpliSafe was a good choice for you and it seems to fit your needs. In my case, SimpliSafe would be a horrible choice because it can't do half of the things I would need it to do. Yes, I do agree in regards to the audible alarm, the louder the better lol.

7. MikeV99

MikeV99 n3wb

smiticans:

Who provides monitoring service for $30/mo? Is it cellular with Smartphone capability? Did you buy the system from them?

8. smiticans

I use AlarmGird and I pay $30.00 a month (month to month with no contract). The $30.00 a month includes central station monitoring, IP primary and GSM back-up for communications and Total Connect 2.0 (ability for remote control with computer, smart phone, and text/email alerts upon alarms, arms, disarms, sensor open/close notification etc.)

The plan I have now has been changed to $35.00 a month and it includes the ability to have remote z-wave control (I don't have this option). I believe if you request it, they can give you the $30.00 a month plan without the z-wave option.

No, I did not buy the system from AlarmGrid. I purchased the main control panel from a reputable seller on eBay. You can usually find good deals on eBay, however, you need to make sure the seller is reputable and the items are new.

There are other alarm companies that charge less than $30.00 a month without contract with all the features I mentioned above, however, I prefer AlarmGrid due to their superior customer service.

MikeV99 likes this.
  9. RayRay1

RayRay1 n3wb

I know this thread is a bit aged, but here is my take, including references to fairly recent articles on SimpliSafe from experts in the field.

Determining whether or not a security system is "good" is subjective. If a product meets your needs, then it's good for you.

That said, in NO WAY, shape or form, can SimpliSafe be compared to established alarm system manufacturers such as Honeywell, GE, DSC, etc.

This article does a perfect job explaining why:
    www.securitysales.com/article/simplisafe_diy_security_system_investigation_yields_disturbing_results

While this article shows exploitation of SimpliSafe vulnerabilities:
    www.securitysales.com/article/simplisafe_diy_home_security_system_inherently_insecure_and_prone_to_hackin

I think worrying about 'jamming' radio frequencies, or worrying about unencrypted wireless communication between sensors and panel is a bit overboard. While yes, I have a rooted Android phone in my backpack that has an SDR (Software Defined Radio) and a USB OTG attachment that allows me to capture and transmit on the majority of wireless spectrum, the people who break into homes don't have the background I do.

Further, you would have to first perform a spectrum analysis to identify the used frequency (and somehow screen out other alarm systems in neighborhood). From there, you would have to sit around for a while, as wireless systems are not continuously sending traffic. Basically, in the amount of time it would take to capture pin codes, or other targeted methods to disable a system, you could have broken into 5 houses and been done with it.

While yes, jamming would be easier, that requires even more hardware, as you need a device that can overpower a wide range of frequencies (from 300 MHz to 2.4 GHz), from 100-300 feet away. While it's trivial to find and purchase such hardware, being able to jam that wide range at those distances becomes very expensive.

Unless you have attracted the legendary Pink Panthers due to your hoard of diamonds sitting in your guest bedroom, it's crazy to worry about these things.

I think SimpliSafe is perfectly adequate. That said, when SimpliSafe came out, the big players were not yet really providing solutions for the DIY community and rarely could you find month-to-month monitoring or remote control. Plus, Zwave, Zigbee, 2GIG, etc. didn't really exist in the capacity they do now. Considering these current technologies, and the integration with smart locks, lights, alarms, cameras, etc. and services such as Alarm.com, or Honeywell's Total Connect 2, I can't come up with a reason to even consider SimpliSafe.

After significant research, I've decided to build my ground-up system around the Honeywell Lyric, with month-to-month monitoring and remote control through HoneyWell's Total Connect 2.

10. tangent

tangent Known around here

I'm not sure I've ever seen a honeywell, dsc, or ge alarm where the installer actually bothered to turn on the RF jam detection setting.

11. Chris TT

Chris TT n3wb

I personally love my visonic and it has an app to work with my veralite, and thus blue iris. Very professional system.