Single Cam Install (Detached Garage)

gemini7

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to install a Amcrest turret cam (IP8M-T2499EW) on the back of my detached garage roughly 30-40 feet away. This will be kind of a temporary setup as I plan to sell the house within the next year. My neighbors and I have issues with the business that is behind our properties that I need to get some resolution (video/screen grab documentation) on before I attempt to sell the house. I'm trying to stay away from Wi-Fi and did purchase Blue Iris for current and future use. Reviewing the SD card from Blue Iris would probably suffice. What suggestions do you have to get signal back to my house? The Ubiquity nano variations look like the best option, but again I don't need real time monitoring. Thanks much for any advice!

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are looking to get a network into your garage without wiring, the Nanobeam or the M5 Loco by Ubiquiti would do the trick. You mention reviewing the SD card from BI, that's not how BI works. You'll be writing video to the BI machine and you can also save to the SD card as a backup. Take a look at the Wiki and the Cliff Notes for some good information that can help you decide for your use-case.

gemini7

n3wb
Reaction score
Mikeynags - Thanks and have read through some of the Wiki and Cliff Notes, but to do a more in-depth read. I thought the SD card could be set to provide a once daily backup that could be reviewed before the next day?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't read where you would do that for review in BI. Maybe someone else can comment on that. You can record all your events right to BI and use the SD card as a backup. I think that is what the more typical use-case is.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can record to the SD cards, then via the network, you can view what is on the SD cards, or watch in real time.
This is all setup in the camera.

BI can't do anything with the SD cards.

gemini7

n3wb
Reaction score
You can record to the SD cards, then via the network, you can view what is on the SD cards, or watch in real time.
This is all setup in the camera.

BI can't do anything with the SD cards.
Got it. Review the SD card contents from the cam via it's IP address. Thanks!