Single Trigger Snapshot?

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a new Blue Iris user and looking to get it tailored to my two camera setup. I used iSpy for years before getting fed up with it constantly dropping streams.

Anyway, I have the video, motion detection, etc. setup, but I'm hoping to get snapshots of the triggers also in place.

Essentially, I'm looking to have snapshots that are the equivalent to the clip thumbnails saved to a google drive folder where they will be automatically sync'd. I only want a single snapshot at the time of the trigger. However, I don't see a single trigger snapshot option in Blue Iris, but it seems to have options to take snapshots at regular intervals after the trigger.

Is there a way to save only this single snapshot for each clip at the time of the trigger? It's what I'd like to use for a high level review of the captures remotely.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you can get snapshots to go into the alerts folder (which you can configure to be wherever you want such as the google drive folder) whenever a camera is triggered if you configure your recording settings to save a high resolution snapshot. I'm not at my BI system right now or I would take screenshots.

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There very well might be a way, but I'm struggling to figure out the right combination. In the alerts tab, there isn't an 'action' for saving a snapshot, unfortunately. There is in the 'record' tab where you can select the box for 'store alerts as high-res files', but the only folder selection (other than for video) is under the 'JPEG snapshot each (mm:ss)', which I believe would be the folder only for saving the incremental snapshot option. I could probably specify a JPEG snapshot with the 'only when triggered' option and set the jpeg snapshot increment time to something like 59:59, which should (theoretically) take the first snapshot and not another if the trigger is disabled within that time, but I could be wrong. I will experiment with those settings, but any feedback in the meantime would also be appreciated.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think your high res alert file will be saved to the alerts folder as configured in Blue Iris Options > I forget the name of the tab where you set up the Alerts/New/Stored folder paths.

No need for the "JPEG snapshot each ..." option.

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To my understanding, the new/stored/alerts folders are named somewhat arbitrarily and aren't linked to specific functions unless the folders are assigned that way in the recording tab, or the defaults are left as-is (e.g., where after x number of days the files are moved from new to stored, but you could set it to to from stored to new if you wanted to). For example, I renamed the 'New" folder to "Driveway" and "Stored" to "West" for my setup, and storage management could direct files from any folder to any other. I'm not sure that I'm explaining my interpretation clearly, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works.

Anyway, I created "Driveway_Triggers" and "West_Triggers" folders to which I would like to send the respective snapshots, so I'm looking for a way to direct the recorded high res alert files. I'm sure I'll get it figured out with some tinkering...

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, it seems to work if I set it to store a jpeg snapshot with a long interval (I used 59:59.0). As long as there no movement that continues the same trigger for that long, it should only send the one photo. Seems to work fine and is directing into the correct Google Drive folders.

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After a day of using it like this, I've found that it works, but not all the time. There are number of videos that record, but no snapshot is being saved.

Is there maybe another way of doing this? What I've setup feels like a bit of a workaround, so any further feedback would be great.

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I settled for changing the alerts folder to my google drive folder, and everything's now working consistently.