Site Survey or layout software?

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

What do you recommend for doing site surveys.... I am trying to get a handle what the actual output of the system will be and what to shoot for. How can I get what resolution at the target are i.e. distance from camera to view area? What mm lens should I use to get the view I need? Is there a tool that would allow me to input a camera specs and produce reports? Is 50 ppi for facial recognition what I should shoot for? It would be nice to layout IR to see what is usable as well. Does this make sense or am I over thinking it?

I primarily use Hikvision cameras do they have a tool?

Thanks in advance.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
This is John from IPVM. Git, thanks for recommending our calculator.

A few more answer to obqo's question. 50 pixels per foot is solid for facial recognition in well lit conditions, keeping in mind that direct sunlight and or poor lighting can require substantially higher ppf levels. Some people want higher levels and it is a bit of personal preference, e.g., I know a number of integrators who want 60 or 80 ppf.

As for IR layout, our calculator includes IR range for each camera model, showing you how far it is spec'd and what that will cover on a google map. Here is an example with a Hikvision camera and below is a screencap showing the Hikvision camera on the map with the red line showing IR range of the camera
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 5.46.20 PM.jpg
Let me know if I can answer any questions.

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow - this looks like a great tool. Free ?!?!

I will watch the video give it a shot - Thanks for the heads up!

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Obqo, it is free for a single camera, you can choose from 3000+ camera models, and design it anywhere on a google map. To do multiple cameras (e.g., if you wanted to do a full design / full system), that requires an IPVM membership.

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Obqo, it is free for a single camera, you can choose from 3000+ camera models, and design it anywhere on a google map. To do multiple cameras (e.g., if you wanted to do a full design / full system), that requires an IPVM membership.
Ah - I understand. Thanks for the information, I will check out the IPVM site.

Best