Six Strand Pre-Terminated Single-Mode LC Fiber Optic Cable Installation Question on Wall Plate

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Type2, Aug 10, 2019.

Share This Page

1. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

I think most of the cheap SFP+ cards from ebay have Windows drivers, but definitely do some googling of each model to be certain.

2. Type2

Type2 Young grasshopper

Ordered all the parts on my list. I should have it by Thursday 8/15/19. I am guessing that there will be some kind of light indicator to show if the fiber wires are making a connection.

Edit: looks like the switch has a set of lights on the side of the box / panel to show if the connections are functional.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  3. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Besides status lights, the switches each have a web interface which will give you more information than you knew was even possible :)

4. Type2

Type2 Young grasshopper

Well, I tested out the switches and I used a single mode duplex cable and the light on the side lit up. Then after establishing a baseline that the switches function, I connected the six strand single mode simplex cable to the switch and no light. Is there a certain order the colored cables have to go?

I am really worried that I will have to run a new fiber line.

Or is is possible the six strand simplex cable will only with with a SPF+ adapter specifically for simplex connections? I.E. I can't double up my simplex strands (group them in two's) and simulate duplex.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: NEVERMIND --- I switched the color pairs on one end and they all work now. So for some reason the colors are switched on the main switch. Whatever. Happy it works. Ready to nail down the office floors now that fiber is verified to work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  5. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Congratulations!

The way the modules work, one side transmits while the other side receives, so the way you originally connected them, you had one fiber with a transmitter on each end, and another fiber with a receiver on each end, and no communication could happen.

A duplex connector is just two simplex with a plastic bracket holding them together at an appropriate position. If you fiddle with your fiber patch cables you will probably notice you can pop the connectors out of the bracket and effectively have two separate fibers.

Type2 likes this.
  6. Type2

Type2 Young grasshopper

Thanks! I am elated and relieved to say the least!