slow delay and stuttering video with POE injector?

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have this Amcrest 4k POE IP camera configuration: cam 1,2,3,4,5,8 goes directly to the NVR. it is then connected to the router with IP of x.x.x.108.
i cannot connect cam 6 and 7 directly to the NVR, so i connect them to the router along with POE injector. router gives cam 6 x.x.x.123 and cam 7 has x.x.x.131. i can see cam6 and 7 fine with the big resolution of 2160p or 480p thumnail on the NVR, BUT their videos have massive delay of about 15 seconds, static, then jumps to the next 15 seconds or so. with all the other cams that's connected directly to the NVR, so such delay issues.
please help

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I am assuming that the "router" has been provided by your ISP. If so, it is probably not capable of handling the two, simultaneous, video streams and may struggle with even one. A video stream is a constant stream of data versus the relatively occasional requests made by a computer/tablet/phone. The simplest solution, besides upgrading your NVR, would be to install a switch directly to the NVR and attach additional cameras that way. Also, be aware that you can exceed the capacity of the NVR by adding more cameras than it was designed to handle.

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am assuming that the "router" has been provided by your ISP. If so, it is probably not capable of handling the two, simultaneous, video streams and may struggle with even one. A video stream is a constant stream of data versus the relatively occasional requests made by a computer/tablet/phone. The simplest solution, besides upgrading your NVR, would be to install a switch directly to the NVR and attach additional cameras that way. Also, be aware that you can exceed the capacity of the NVR by adding more cameras than it was designed to handle.
the comcast box has 1 cat5 going out into my Linksys. so the NVR, cam6, and cam 7 goes into this Linksys. the NVR supports 8 4k channels. i have no issues at my other house doing this set up. strange that i am experiencing this issue now.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With Comtrash, nothing is strange. As a general rule, a camera, let alone two cameras, should never go through a "home" router. They are, when compared to commercial routers, complete junk and rarely have the bandwidth and switching capability to handle a task like that. I'd say you got lucky the first time.

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With Comtrash, nothing is strange. As a general rule, a camera, let alone two cameras, should never go through a "home" router. They are, when compared to commercial routers, complete junk and rarely have the bandwidth and switching capability to handle a task like that. I'd say you got lucky the first time.
could you please let me know if using a POE switch like this works?

running cam 6 and 7 directly to the back of the NVR is not an option at this time.
really appreciate your time and help!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure, that will work fine. As an aside, you can plug a on PoE device into a PoE port with no problem. Both modern switches and modern devices recognize what they're being plugged in to and will adjust themselves accordingly.

From a basic networking standpoint, for a home network, it is always best to have only one connection to your router which goes to a switch where everything else is connected. That leaves the router bandwidth available for WiFi devices and keep it frombeing bogged down by everything else, especially video surveillance systems.

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sure, that will work fine. As an aside, you can plug a on PoE device into a PoE port with no problem. Both modern switches and modern devices recognize what they're being plugged in to and will adjust themselves accordingly.

From a basic networking standpoint, for a home network, it is always best to have only one connection to your router which goes to a switch where everything else is connected. That leaves the router bandwidth available for WiFi devices and keep it frombeing bogged down by everything else, especially video surveillance systems.
oh i did not know you can plug non POE devices into POE ports. i have updated the pict accordingly. thank you!
fingers crossed this will fix my issues. thanks so much!