Small animal detector

C2h5oh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I'm kind of new to ip cameras but looking for a solution you guys might be able to find. I do some predator hunting, primarily fox, from my bedroom window. Have some bait put out about 50meters from my house. I have tried several ir motion detectors like driveway patrols but not worked great. Now I want to try ip cameras with motion sensor. Want some advice on camera and ir illuminator.

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I caught this on a cheap Chinese Hikvision camera with the IR off:

To be fair, there are some LED string lights around the deck that illuminate very well. This allows me to turn off the night mode on the camera and have color video at night.

Attachments

C2h5oh

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds promising, how does the motion alert work? And what IR illuminators are you using? Oh and what was the camera model name?

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you can get the camera to email or push to your phone all you need is a camera and have it connected to your home network. Some cameras can do it directly without a network. You will need to be a bit tech-savvy to get it configured.

This specific screen capture was from a DS-CD3132F-IW. I think I paid roughly $80 for it. It's been rock-solid on wi-fi. The 2032 models produce similar results with much better IR projection for night vision.
The LEDs are from Wal-mart's Christmas department~!~

I use Blue Iris and a computer to handle most of the heavy lifting like motion detection, sending alerts and recording but the camera has these capabilities by itself. Perhaps a more experienced user will chime in with the perfect camera or solution?

Last edited by a moderator:

C2h5oh

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks for your reply I'm pretty confident I will need an external IR illuminator to cover the ground I'm interested in motion monitoring. I understand some software has motion monitoring built in and some monitoring can be done by the camera itself, I prefer having the camera monitoring motion and alerting me on my phone. The alert system has to be able to wake me up in the middle of the night so just an email with an attachment won't do it I guess