small farm security

bcarpenter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

The family has a small 20 acre farm. We have experienced criminal activity with some of the local trash -- crackhead thieves and ..... others.. The propertry is "posted" and we are experincing probes after lighting up (LED light) one nocternal creeper (Ford truck). The wired cams I have installed are close in to the house. Trenching thru the land and cable routing thru the antique farm house is very labor intensive, kinda nightmarish.

I was thinking about some wireless cams but I'm absolutely not interested in cellular spyware. I have power at scattered locations so perhaps wifi cams or something also those lines. I also hear that some older tablets are dirt cheap so maybe that could be the "command center" (running Blue Iris?). I've got a number alarms, but I really want to capture license plates from the rear of the car and drivers seat from the front.

Sure would appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
WiFi signal cams will not reach very far, and wifi should be avoided due to reliability anyway. Plus, you will need to get power out to them regardless. If trenching is not an option, consider solar power and beam a signal out to them with Locos or similiar.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use dedicated RF links for remote locations, up to a few kilometers away. The Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5 will handle about ten cameras worth of data, 2 or 4MP cameras, with no problem. You'd need a pair for each separate location, one remote and one at the monitoring location, because they are pretty directional. Plus you get the added protection of electrical isolation to prevent spikes from outside hitting the main system.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bcarpenter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Several of you have mentioned the Loco. These look ideal but the models I've seen have a single poe ethernet port. Are there models with 3/4/5 poe ports or what technology would I use to put multiple cams on a single pair of Ubiquiti antennas?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use any PoE switch on either end of a Loco. Just be aware that Ubiquity uses a different PoE than the standard and you have to use the one they provide or the magic smoke will come out. I have them set up to ink my sheds to the house. At the shed end there's a four port PoE switch with the Loco and cameras plugged into it. In the house it plugs into a 16 port PoE switch that the rest of my cameras are on. Works like a champ.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use any PoE switch on either end of a Loco. Just be aware that Ubiquity uses a different PoE than the standard and you have to use the one they provide or the magic smoke will come out. I have the set up to ink my sheds to the house. At the shed end there's a four port PoE switch with the Loco and cameras plugged into it. In the house it plugs into a 16 port PoE switch that the rest of my cameras are on. Works like a champ.
LOL " The magic Smoke....:)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Everybody knows all electronic equipment runs on magic smoke because when the magic smoke comes out it stops working. Sometimes it's so little smoke it can't be seen though.
Yeah, on another thread I ended up ordering a Ubiquiti product,,,,and then I thought oh cool, POE...I can wire it straight to my cisco 3560.......Then I saw passive 24V poe. I thought wft standard is that? af-at? no!
Then a little voice in my head said ohhhhhh this is the magic spoke warning! Now I am faced with exactly was you were talking about....So i thought" if you f- this up you'll make the magic smoke".....
Hopefully the other side of their adapter is plain old ethernet

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the other side of the adapter is plain old ethernet, but you do need to use the PoE injector Ubiquity supplies. Why they still use 24 volts is beyond me. Maybe they like the income stream from smoked units and selling extra, proprietary, PoE injectors. Beats the heck out of me but their RF links work really well so it's worth doing, IMHO.