Smart AI Cameras vs Alarm Beams For Perimeter Notifications

EViS

n3wb
Reaction score
It has always been the case that a wired (or wireless) alarm with detectors is the first layer of property security, and CCTV is used as evidence for after any events. However, with the rise of affordable 'smart' AI CCTV software (such as Dahua, Hikvision, BlueIris, etc.), it strikes me that modern cameras are potentially more reliable at filtering out false alerts and therefore this mantra is no longer valid?

I am asking the question as I have been planning an alarm install with a couple of external Optex SL-200TNR perimeter beams and Pyronix external XDL12TT-WE PIR's to 'secure' the perimeter and and an outbuilding entrance. I'd like the system to notify me of anyone lurking outside before they attempt to gain entry into the building. I would then use CCTV to confirm the notification as being genuine or not.

However, I am now under the impression that a CCTV system setup correctly with tripwires and zones could do all of this on it's own and potentially with reduced false alerts from debris and animals? In which case, is there any reason to have an alarm panel with exterior sensors?