smart IR issue explained

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You are correct, Using those settings, in fact most any setting in that ballpark, with HLC at 80-100% it does help reduce the washout. Similar to headlights at night for which it is marketed.

I tried with both Smart IR, Zoom Prio, and IR at 100%. Little difference. The HLC is what makes the big difference.

Unfortunately it’s getting light out this morning so I’ll try this experiment tonight in a couple of different cameras.

It would seem a Shame if one has to go through all that to actually make IR “Smart”. Perhaps Dahua and HiK should just make IR on/off and tell us how to make IR react properly to subjects closer to the camera. So why would they both promote Smart IR? Neither mentions adjusting Exposure and or gain or using backlight?

HiK
Smart IR

The improved Smart IR function adjusts the IR strength to have better visibility depending on specific requirements. Smart IR is usually used to solve the problem of IR over-exposure in close shots.

Dahua Smart IR

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
You are correct, Using those settings, in fact most any setting in that ballpark, with HLC at 80-100% it does help reduce the washout. Similar to headlights at night for which it is marketed.

I tried with both Smart IR, Zoom Prio, and IR at 100%. Little difference. The HLC is what makes the big difference.

Unfortunately it’s getting light out this morning so I’ll try this experiment tonight in a couple of different cameras.

It would seem a Shame if one has to go through all that to actually make IR “Smart”. Perhaps Dahua and HiK should just make IR on/off and tell us how to make IR react properly to subjects closer to the camera. So why would they both promote Smart IR? Neither mentions adjusting Exposure and or gain or using backlight?

HiK
Smart IR

The improved Smart IR function adjusts the IR strength to have better visibility depending on specific requirements. Smart IR is usually used to solve the problem of IR over-exposure in close shots.

Dahua Smart IR
When we test the hikvision 8MP turret also found the same thing, too strong IR and badly washout, we sort the problem follow wopi's instruction. I think wopi's research is reliable.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I dont doubt Wopi’s research. His method works and is a good fix workaround for the problem with SmartIR

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm going to test this tonight

Instead of kids knocking over porta-potties and being porch pirates,, they should all come to this forum and learn some simple physics ;)

rra

n3wb
Reaction score
ik think is not for all dahua. What light at the background. I try this with a HFW4431R-Z .

the distance is a big problem .What i see , i think 5 meter at the pictures.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You're right, the gain is one factor but every situation is going to be slightly different. I've noticed that the shutter needs to be adjusted as well based on the given situation in how and where this is mounted.

The right values need to be automatically applied (in firmware) for the the Auto settings to work properly, it cannot only account for the gain values. The end user should not always have to make fine adjustments to make things work right.

If only we can dissect and fix the firmware ourselves :D Wait, I shouldn't be saying this because then Dahua will not release official fix, haha

What's good is that thanks to @EMPIRETECANDY, the feedback here will be escalated to appropriate department; there we can remain optimistic and see positive changes along the way.

d2.JPG

Smart IR is not controlling gain in this case. It's the gain itself. In first example your face got washed out, because gain went down from 50 to 0 and the camera didn't have chance to go any lower. Try this: turn off smart IR - set a fixed value like 100% for IR, set exposure to 0-16ms (the maximum will be still 1/60s), set gain to 0-50 and see what happens. If you still get overexposed add a little bit of HLC to this. Should work :)

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
i don’t have a problem with making different fine setting adjustments for each location to get IR to behave well, we all do that with most cameras now to get the image right and get good video with motion at night etc, and thanks to @wopi82 for helping.

But if you need to adjust exposure, gain, backlight and IR settings to get an acceptable IR result, one has to wonder why it’s sold as SmartIR to begin with? Why not just have it On/Off?
Seems like a step backward.

Obviously it can work, as seen on CVI Starlights and other IP cams such as the 5231 series.

I’ve beat this horse to death so I’ll shut up now and pour a glass of Basil Haydens

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I've made adjustments to most of my cameras for IR to work well, but just in general for someone setting up for the first time, it may be daunting just trying to dig through the parameters to figure out what works, lol

I definitely agree with your comment, "But if you need to adjust exposure, gain, backlight and IR settings to get an acceptable IR result, one has to wonder why it’s sold as SmartIR to begin with? Why not just have it On/Off? "

SmartIR is obviously not all that smart for this specific model. I think Dahua screwed up in this case. I have however, found Smart IR to be useful especially in the famous 2mp Starlight Varifocal turret

I'm still deploying this camera. I noticed that even with IR turned off, the low light performance is amazing, in conjunction with the street light

i don’t have a problem with making different fine setting adjustments for each location to get IR to behave well, we all do that with most cameras now to get the image right and get good video with motion at night etc, and thanks to @wopi82 for helping.

But if you need to adjust exposure, gain, backlight and IR settings to get an acceptable IR result, one has to wonder why it’s sold as SmartIR to begin with? Why not just have it On/Off?
Seems like a step backward.

Obviously it can work, as seen on CVI Starlights and other IP cams such as the 5231 series.

I’ve beat this horse to death so I’ll shut up now and pour a glass of Basil Haydens