Smart motion detection questions 3.0 vs 4.0 vs SMD Plus

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am learning more about this because I intend to trigger outside lights for humans instead of wildlife and dogs from IR-capable cameras.
I believe SMD4.0 is the latest and greatest on-camera AI. I can also use limited channels on my NVR5208 EI in a mode listed as "SMD Plus" in the specs.

1. This leads me to the first question: How does on-camera SMD4.0 compare to on-NVR SMD Plus?

Another observation is that the latest round of SMD 4.0 cameras have a less-than-ideal Mp : sensor size ratio.(Like Tioc)
2. So, practically, can any users of both versions opine how much better is SMD 4.0 over SMD 3.0?

3. Finally, I know that the 5442 (IR) fixed lens is a go-to camera, but it seems to have a recent 5442 iteration. Is that SMD4.0, and is it better than its predecessor in all ways?

Last edited:

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To answer my own question 1:
It seems SMD Plus predates SMD3.0, so it would appear that SMD Plus is to be used if SMD is unavailable on camera to achieve the best reliability.

This website seems to quantify the relationship between the three. Answering question 2 :

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've not used SMD much, mostly because I've haven't had great results with it. From what I've seen here that doesn't seem to be unusual. Along those lines to answer #3, I think with the 5442s most in most circumstances will use IVS instead of SMD.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Using IVS tripwires and intrusion zones are much more reliable for triggers.
But are they more reliably human-selective?
See my first post requirement. I require PIR capability that is human selective, nor regions that are all motion selective

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, IVS works much better for detecting humans (or vehicles). Rather, works much better at ONLY detecting humans vs a lot more falses that you'll see with SMD.

BUT I've not used them with an NVR. I'm guessing that the cam just passes the triggers in the same way but have to defer to someone who knows the NVR side better.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In theory SMD 4 > SMD 3 > SMD Plus.

In practice - Pro (WizMind or WizMind-S) 5xxx line cams with SMD 3 blow up all lower lines like 2xxx or 3xxx (Tioc or classic) even when they have SMD 4. Detections are faster and more accurate. And 5xxx line have IVS on all models, which gives You even better accuracy

There is huge difference in CPU/SOC/AI power which Pro WizMind cameras have in comparison to lower line WizSense cameras.

PS. there is also difference between 2 Mpx sensor cameras and higher Mpx ones - cams with 2 Mpx sensor have shorter distance to detect people in comparison to 4/5/8 Mpx..