Smart Motion Detection (SMD) and Video Detection Region

warthog99

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently been trying out the SMD. I had previously been using IVS, but the SMD is working remarkably well, and much better than I expected.

I do have one issue though.

I've configured the Video Detection Region (in the Alarm/Video Detection menu) to exclude certain zones from being scanned.

However, the SMD still picks up people walking and vehicles driving by the excluded area. I've tried unclicking the entire area, as well as changing settings for that area to Sensitivity 0, and Threshold of 100, but SMD still reports people and cars. (See yellow zone of attached pic)

Is there a way to configure the Region setting for SMD?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
By default I think it encompasses the entire scene and ignores the area you draw in MD.

Looks like you have to use Privacy Mask

warthog99

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!!!

I hate how haphazard the Dahua interface is with so my different functions in so many different locations.
Of course, the current UI doesn't match the video tutorial either.

Also hate the fact the the UI doesn't work correctly with any modern browser.

And then, setting the Privacy Mask didn't work with the NVR UI, but I was ultimately able to log directly into the camera itself to create the mask.

What a pain!!! Ultimately though, I got it working. I appreciate the help.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Working as expected here, 5442E-ZE, using SMD (AI on camera) on NVR 5208-4KS, car and people are picked up only in the MD detection region.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't used SMD on the 5442 but had thought about using it. How well does it work versus IVS using intrusion and trip wires for humans/vehicles?

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Too bad the solution requires privacy masking to omit regions from the SMD detection area. Blacking out useful image area seems like a high price to pay.

- Thomas

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!!!

I hate how haphazard the Dahua interface is with so my different functions in so many different locations.
Of course, the current UI doesn't match the video tutorial either.

Also hate the fact the the UI doesn't work correctly with any modern browser.

And then, setting the Privacy Mask didn't work with the NVR UI, but I was ultimately able to log directly into the camera itself to create the mask.

What a pain!!! Ultimately though, I got it working. I appreciate the help.
Then you would really not like Hik's interface.

Yes, make settings directly in the cameras GUI always.

Edge in IE mode works with most cameras, Chrome with IE tab extension installed, works with almost all cameras, a few PTZ's have problems with it.

warthog99

n3wb
Reaction score
Then you would really not like Hik's interface.

Yes, make settings directly in the cameras GUI always.

Edge in IE mode works with most cameras, Chrome with IE tab extension installed, works with almost all cameras, a few PTZ's have problems with it.
Yeah, that was my takeaway from this whole exercise as well.....There was the whole other issue of accessing of the one Dahua Camera on on port 10080...that was another whole rabbit hole to chase down......

I really hope Dahua updates their web infrastructure. In the meantime, this forum is invaluable.

nojson

n3wb
Reaction score
Didn't realize these browser management issues existed until after I bought my Dahua. This is unacceptable. Glad I bought through Amazon...still got time to return it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't realize these browser management issues existed until after I bought my Dahua. This is unacceptable. Glad I bought through Amazon...still got time to return it.
You really need to be asking yourself do you want quality cameras to capture quality video at night with motion OR do you want simplicity scan a QR code and be tricked into thinking you have a good system (that is actually a security risk and crappy video with motion at night).

But if you aren't capable of using a browser and setting up the cameras, then you need to stick to the consumer grade quality and deal with the motion blur LOL and stay away from anything that is made by Dahua or Hikvision...

You do realize that other than those cloud based consumer brands, most cameras are OEM to Dahua or Hikvision and many are still browser dependent. Here is just a sampling...

1663523204576.png

1663523275245.png

Enjoy the crappy video from your Arlo, Reolink, Wyze, Nest type camera then LOL. Their ease of use from these systems comes at a cost of video quality with motion. Any camera can give a good static image, but these systems all fail at night with motion...

nojson

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, I’m a Systems Engineer with 20+ years experience. Maybe keep your assumptions to yourself? I have a problem with being forced to use a decade old browser or operating system full of security vulnerabilities in order to configure IVS triggers on the $750 camera I purchased in 2022. There is no excuse for this.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sadly, our experience here with folks that start their post with "I am an IT manager" or similar then go on to show their incompetence by demonstrating a complete lack of basic networking like IP addresses and subnets and VPN. Or the one that didn't know how to manually change the IP address of a computer are always a humorous read.

While we agree with you that these manufacturers shouldn't be centering their firmware around an old browser, the fact of the matter is we are not their intended market and they cater to installers that have the know how and equipment to set these up while mitigating security vulnerabilities and they cater to their preferences. We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these better cameras to use in our homes by third party vendors.

Now we are starting to see these same manufacturers modify their firmware to not be centered around an old browser, but that takes time and doesn't address the older cameras still on the market.

So the question is, Mr. systems engineer, are you competent enough to figure out how to setup one of these cameras that has mitigated the security and vulnerability risks or do you simply plug these cameras into an internet port and call it good? Or will you be added to the list of IT people that come here and show they don't know what they are talking about?

Personally I hope you are someone that can contribute with knowledgeable information...

I assure you most of us here can set these up without it being a security risk to our network....

Further, any camera, regardless of manufacturer, has security vulnerabilites (ironic isn't it), so if you want cameras you have to learn how to mitigate the risk, and as a systems engineer with 20 years experience you should know that....

I don't say this to be abusive or talk-down, but rather to share the realities of folks that come here saying they have an IT background...

Last edited:

nojson

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, you continue to make incorrect assumptions about me. Having systems with security vulns is a terrible idea even if you try to segment on their own vlan. Always assume your network has already been compromised. Furthermore, I don’t like the idea of having a dedicated vm just for this purpose and I’m certainly not going to configure my BI server this way. How about you offer some useful information like a suggestion to a comparable brand that doesn’t have these issues? Otherwise, please STFU and scroll on. Jeez, fanboys are the worst.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your response doesn't prove me wrong lol

It had nothing to do with being a fan boy either.

If you read my post, you will see that I said you will not find a camera that doesn't suffer security vulnerabilities... THEY ALL HAVE THEM. From the cheap no names to top of line expensive Axis cameras. Do a search here and on the internet if you don't believe me...

Since you want a piece of useful advice that you should know - you NEVER allow these cameras to touch the internet and you set them up on a completely isolated system.

Think of these cameras as a specialized piece of equipment and that technicians use specialized tools to analyze and work on said equipment...

In this case, your specialized piece of equipment is a computer without internet access and thus all security vulnerabilities are eliminated and you set the camera up so that it NEVER touches the internet. At that point you then move the camera to a dual NIC or VLAN system that pulls the video feeds only into a VMS platform. That is how you mitigate security vulnerabilities...

That and never use P2P or port forwarding and instead host a VPN if you want to access them remotely.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok since you edited your post to include some useful information about your thoughts on VLAN and not running BI on its own system, most here have setup their system as VLAN or dual NIC and use their BI computer for nothing else.

The wikis here call out how to set these up to mitigate security risks.

Other than a completely airgap system, given your background, what changes would you make to the wikis to further improve minimizing security risks?

nojson

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera vulns isn’t the deal killer. Those were always going to be isolated. I have an issue with the old browser versions. I don’t think this is acceptable for any computer.

Does Axis require older browsers to configure their cameras?