Smart PSS and Smart Search -- How to make it work?

crosis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using Smart PSS on Windows. I jump into Playback, allow it to search for All Records for a cam, Main Stream. I then select the seekbar to get the video started then Pause then tap the Smart Search icon. It then wants me to define a region for it to detect Human, Motion, or Vehicle. When i tap the icon again it begins its search but it ALWAYS returns "The smart search result is empty".

My assumption is the Smart Search is checking the entire playback records for Human but found nothing within the region. I presume it achieves this by simply looking for any IVS detection as opposed to dynamically checking the pixels in the selected region. What i dont understand is the playback seekbar clearly shows human detection indicators thanks to an active IVS. I can playback those areas thanks to the sidebar menu list.

It begs the questions: Does Smart Search ever work? Am i using it incorrectly? Has anyone got it to work within the Smart PSS Windows application?

Cam: EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE S3 (V3.100.0000000.5.R, Build Date: 2023-05-09)
NVR: EmpireTech NVR8CH-8P-2AI (V4.000.0000000.1.R, Build Date: 2023/04/27)

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using Smart PSS on Windows. I jump into Playback, allow it to search for All Records for a cam, Main Stream. I then select the seekbar to get the video started then Pause then tap the Smart Search icon. It then wants me to define a region for it to detect Human, Motion, or Vehicle. When i tap the icon again it begins its search but it ALWAYS returns "The smart search result is empty".

My assumption is the Smart Search is checking the entire playback records for Human but found nothing within the region. I presume it achieves this by simply looking for any IVS detection as opposed to dynamically checking the pixels in the selected region. What i dont understand is the playback seekbar clearly shows human detection indicators thanks to an active IVS. I can playback those areas thanks to the sidebar menu list.

It begs the questions: Does Smart Search ever work? Am i using it incorrectly? Has anyone got it to work within the Smart PSS Windows application?

Cam: EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE S3 (V3.100.0000000.5.R, Build Date: 2023-05-09)
NVR: EmpireTech NVR8CH-8P-2AI (V4.000.0000000.1.R, Build Date: 2023/04/27)
I was curious and tried the Smart Search once and it doesn't work for me a while back.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Me either. I kinda wonder if its dependent on SMD? Not IVS...

It works fine on the nVR itself, but not SmartPSS

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I understood that the Smart Search is just for standard motion detection. Within the defined area that you create. So just shows any motion detection within the frame you have created.