Smart PSS is driving me nuts, what to do?

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most of us have bought our BI computer used.

If it doesn't turn on or when you pull up the specs it isn't what you purchased you send it back. Otherwise it will be fine LOL.
fair enough. I used to be a computer nerd but my info is far far out of date. If the case only has one slot for a hard drive, is there some sort of bus I can set up to use external drives? Or connect it to a synology?

You've pretty much convinced me to try it

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
fair enough. I used to be a computer nerd but my info is far far out of date. If the case only has one slot for a hard drive, is there some sort of bus I can set up to use external drives? Or connect it to a synology?

You've pretty much convinced me to try it
While the case may only have one bay or cage for another hard drive, as long as the motherboard has SATA ports, you use them and duct tape the other drives into the volume area LOL. I removed the optical drive and used its power and SATA and taped the drive in the computer.

You want to stay away from external drives like thru USB ports. Even though they are rated with high transfer rates, reality is that is instantaneous and not sustained. I tried it once for two cameras and it started choking on the 24/7 not able to buffer data stream within minutes.

You can use a NAS to offload for retention and storage as it will pass that in buffer mode, but not for actual recording.

You can find a used i5 8500 for under $200 which is cheaper than any real NVR lol.

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
While the case may only have one bay or cage for another hard drive, as long as the motherboard has SATA ports, you use them and duct tape the other drives into the volume area LOL. I removed the optical drive and used its power and SATA and taped the drive in the computer.

You want to stay away from external drives like thru USB ports. Even though they are rated with high transfer rates, reality is that is instantaneous and not sustained. I tried it once for two cameras and it started choking on the 24/7 not able to buffer data stream within minutes.

You can use a NAS to offload for retention and storage as it will pass that in buffer mode, but not for actual recording.

You can find a used i5 8500 for under $200 which is cheaper than any real NVR lol.
Thanks. I like to do continuous record so it sounds like I should look for something with 3 bays, optical plus 2 purples. It seems like having system and blue iris on an optical is preferred?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I like to do continuous record so it sounds like I should look for something with 3 bays, optical plus 2 purples. It seems like having system and blue iris on an optical is preferred?
Do you mean SSD or M.2 instead of optical? BI and Windows should be on an SSD or M.2 drive not an optical drive LOL.

Most eliminate the optical drive in order to add another HDD.