smart pss motion event search

Reaction score
Im using this nvr: NVR5216-16P-4KS2E
and these cameras: IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS

ive got my cameras plugged in and everything seems to be working well. I've started messing with the playback and i find it near impossible to find anything.Searching through hours of video that all looks the same. I tried the smart search button, it pops up a grid and i highlight a section and when i search, it says search is empty.

I came across this video:

and it looks like exactly like what im looking for. I tried looking for something to get my video to highlight sections like this, but i cant seem to get it to work. What do i need to do?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im using this nvr: NVR5216-16P-4KS2E
and these cameras: IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS

ive got my cameras plugged in and everything seems to be working well. I've started messing with the playback and i find it near impossible to find anything.Searching through hours of video that all looks the same. I tried the smart search button, it pops up a grid and i highlight a section and when i search, it says search is empty.

I came across this video:

and it looks like exactly like what im looking for. I tried looking for something to get my video to highlight sections like this, but i cant seem to get it to work. What do i need to do?
You need to setup IVS events in the camera's setup interface. Such as tripwire, motion dectect or intrusion boxes.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
In addition to setting up the events on the cameras, you have to enable recording of them on the NVR in at least 2 places. One is under the Event menu where you have to tell it to record the event and on what channel(s), and the other is under the Schedule menu where you need to enable recording of events on the individual channels. I've never done this via SmartPSS, instead always using the camera and NVR web interfaces. I have struggled with this many times and wish I could give you a complete list of what to do. In reality I just keep looking at menus and fiddling settings until it works.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion, it's easier to accomplish if:
1-Use the NVR's direct interface, not smartpss
or
2-login to the NVR via network, with IE. Default ip 192.168.1.108
Yes you have IVS.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I have my cameras set to record 24/7, can I also use IVS?

Will that record some events multiple times (once as a part of the 24/7 recording, and once as a part of IVS)?

In the end, if I can enable both 24/7, and IVS, will it make it easier to search for things?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If I have my cameras set to record 24/7, can I also use IVS?

Will that record some events multiple times (once as a part of the 24/7 recording, and once as a part of IVS)?

In the end, if I can enable both 24/7, and IVS, will it make it easier to search for things?
Question 1: yes
Question 2: no
Question 3: yes

Explanation for question 2: When an event occurs, the dahua nvr closes the "general" (24x7) file and opens a new file. When the event duration expires, it closes the event file and opens a new general file. It also switches to a new general file every hour. Personally, I wouldn't have done it that way, but it is what it is.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.

I went to System-->Setting-->Storage-->Schedule.

I changed channels 1 - 7 so that they were recording both General, and Motion.

A min later, a car drove by the driveway camera.

I then went to search for the playback of the driveway camera. I don't see how to isolate the motion events of the driveway camera. I only see the green line when I go to that camera, indicating that it is a General event.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Another way to look for the events is to open the pane at the right hand edge of the playback picture. Photo below. The orange files are IVS events. Sounds like you're using motion detection. Those events are yellow. From memory, this is what you have to do. No guarantee that it's a complete list, or that it doesn't have unnecessary steps.

On the camera settings, under Event/Video Detection:
- Enable checked
- Record checked
- Period set
- Area set

On the NVR settings under Event/Video Detection/Motion Detect (in addition to the recording schedule):
- Enable checked
- Record Channel checked, and set up

If you're trying to use IVS events, make sure that Smart Plan is set to the light bulb. If you succeed, and have a more accurate list of what to do, post it here. You're not the first person struggling through this.

spssPane.jpg

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't tried your steps yet. Just wanted to say that I think your screen shot shows exactly what I want. There are a few orange lines, surrounded by the green lines.

I think for me, they would be yellow, since it's motion detection.

But yes, similar idea.

I'll report back after I've tried your steps, and whether I was able to get it, or if I need more help.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, how are you able to see the file size of those events?

Are you using the NVR interface; the web interface; or something else?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, how are you able to see the file size of those events?

Are you using the NVR interface; the web interface; or something else?
Sorry I should have mentioned the screen shot is from smartPSS, which I use 99+% of the time for viewing the video. To get the file info you click on a little left arrow on the right hand edge of the smartPSS display, halfway between the screen top and bottom (while in playback mode). If you're viewing single pane, the file info covers up part of the image. I use the display format that has one big pane surrounded by 7 smaller panes. This way, the file info doesn't cover up the image in the large pane.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another way to look for the events is to open the pane at the right hand edge of the playback picture. Photo below. The orange files are IVS events. Sounds like you're using motion detection. Those events are yellow. From memory, this is what you have to do. No guarantee that it's a complete list, or that it doesn't have unnecessary steps.

On the camera settings, under Event/Video Detection:
- Enable checked
- Record checked
- Period set
- Area set

On the NVR settings under Event/Video Detection/Motion Detect (in addition to the recording schedule):
- Enable checked
- Record Channel checked, and set up

If you're trying to use IVS events, make sure that Smart Plan is set to the light bulb. If you succeed, and have a more accurate list of what to do, post it here. You're not the first person struggling through this.

View attachment 34545

Thanks, I was able to set it up.

When I view the stream from the NVR UI, I now see an icon of two people running, in the lower left side. I figured out that it means it's a motion event.

https://i.imgur.com/vS8A0NE.jpg

Also, the doorway camera is now recording a motion event, very often right now, because of the breeze. It records it as a motion event for a few seconds, then stops, then starts again, right now.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry I should have mentioned the screen shot is from smartPSS, which I use 99+% of the time for viewing the video. To get the file info you click on a little left arrow on the right hand edge of the smartPSS display, halfway between the screen top and bottom (while in playback mode). If you're viewing single pane, the file info covers up part of the image. I use the display format that has one big pane surrounded by 7 smaller panes. This way, the file info doesn't cover up the image in the large pane.
Thanks. I used SmartPSS, and I see the file info now.

Also, apparently the neighbor turning on the light inside their house set off a motion event. Funny, I'm learning what qualifies as a motion event.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also figured out now how to view the file info from the NVR interface. When in playback mode, you have to click on the icon with the rectangle with lines going across it. That kind of looks like a small piece of paper. It's the icon all the way on the lower right.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
When you get tired of the false positives with motion detection, try IVS line crossing. In almost every case, it will be a better solution.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you get tired of the false positives with motion detection, try IVS line crossing. In almost every case, it will be a better solution.
Can you give me some tips on how to set that up, or what settings to use?

I think I'll keep my garage cam on motion detection, since there aren't outside environmental factors.

For the other cameras, maybe I'll try IVS on a case by case basis. I'll probably start with the driveway and doorway.

Re-reading your post, when you say line crossing, you mean setting up some trigger boundaries, right? How would that help with reducing the false positive with wind, as was seen yesterday on the front door camera?

I have my 7 outside cameras set up for both 24/7, and motion now. I just want the motion ones to be more "motion", if that is possible. So that when I'm later searching and trying to isolate those events, there's not so many.

One other concern with setting up line crossing is that my driveway camera is looking at a court. I'm in the deepest part of a court, and that camera faces the opening of the court. I still want to capture a car driving by and into the court, in one motion event. I don't want it so isolated that it's only a motion event if the car is near the house. That way, if I have to extract video or search for video, I can get the full motion of the car entering the court, or leaving the court, in one clip.

Also, when I get home tonight, I'll see how it isolated me leaving the house this morning, and coming back home in the evening. I'll see if I'm satisfied with this.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you able to log on to the camera directly? That's the easiest place to set up IVS. Next easiest is setting it up on the NVR. Line crossing doesn't eliminate all of my wind and shadow false triggers, it just reduces them by a huge amount.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you able to log on to the camera directly? That's the easiest place to set up IVS. Next easiest is setting it up on the NVR. Line crossing doesn't eliminate all of my wind and shadow false triggers, it just reduces them by a huge amount.
Not when I'm at work. That's why I'm waiting until I get home.

If I was somewhere else, and on Wi Fi, I could.