SmartPSS 1.X - Change Default PC-NVR Password

sp1k3ster

n3wb
Reaction score
I couldn't find a single guide out there on how to change the default admin PC-NVR password on a Window's installation of SmartPSS 1.x. I eventually figured it out on my own and thought I upload this quick guide to help anyone else that's looking for the answer.

The newer version of SmartPSS 2.x PC-NVR has the ability to change the password through the taskbar icon. Unfortunately, that version is buggy and crashes when I go to PC-NVR's HDD Management. See: Smart PSS PC-NVR Help

The users/passwords file is located under C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Smart Professional Surveillance System\PC-NVR\Wi32\Config\ inside a "passwd" file. If you open this file with Notepad, you'll see multiple lines. One of them will say 3:admin:6QNMIQGe

6QNMIQGe is the default encrypted password ("admin") using Dahua's hashing algorithm. Luckily for us, someone else has figured out the algorithm and created a python script to generate new passwords. See: haicen/DahuaHashCreator

All you need to do is take your plaintext password and run it through the Dahua Hash Creator to get your encrypted password and then replace the default password.

For example, if want to change the default password from "admin" to "test123", we do the following:

$python3 DahuaHash.py -p test123
test123 = LsVI4asl

We then replace the default password ("6QNMIQGe") with the new the encrypted password ("LsVI4asl") and save the passwd file. Make sure to exit PC-NVR and launch again for the changes to take effect.

Hope this helps someone else save hours of research.

Last edited:

Dahuacamcctv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for this guide. I wonder if you can replace Dahua's default password in the firmware with this Script and the dahua firmware mod kit.