SMD and IVS at night

bemak187

n3wb
Reaction score
How do people find SMD and IVS at night when the cameras are in BW with IR on. I have had the system in for about a month and have been doing a bit of testing. If find that SMD set for humans works really well in daylight but at night its really not working. Same for IVS with human filtering, very low hit rate. I do have a couple of my cameras mounted fairly high (under the soffits of a 2 storey house so about 20 feet up so wondered if it was the angle however it works perfectly in the daylight. I have a pro series 5 NVR and IPC-HDW3541T-ZAS cameras.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
IVS is worse at night for me. Daytime it’s pretty good but not so at night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which camera are you using? If it is a 2.8mm fixed, and maybe even a 4mm fixed, then it will be problematic at that height and distance at night.

If the cameras are positioned in close to ideal settings and you are not pushing the limits of IDENTIFY purposes, the IVS works very well at nighttime.

But you should only use one or the other. There are 3 motion detection options. Motion Detection, Smart Motion Detection, and IVS. If you are using more than one, coupled with high frame rates, that can cause an issue.

Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing shows if you try to run these cameras at 30fps and high bitrates that you will max out the CPU in the camera and then the camera bugs out just long enough that you miss something. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of cameras - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but you are running the CPU higher. Surprised you haven't ran into issues, or maybe you have but unaware...

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable. YMMV

1618422003958.png

Post a screenshot showing your field of view and IVS lines and we might be able to help you tweak them or tell you if what you are trying is problematic.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study this attachment and the links it contains.
IVS trip wires work well if the cam is properly installed.
Of ALL the Dahua and Hikvison cams I have, installed for others and have reviewed over the past 4-5 yrs, I've never ran into a scenario where the cam cpu was choking. YMMV

Attachments

bemak187

n3wb
Reaction score
Bit more testing and I have got most of them working well. I have no choice but to have some of them mounted high up, no other way to run the cables without them being all over the outside of the house which isnt an option. Basically one of them is at too high of an angle to work at night (also the one getting the least ambient light) however I have a PIR security light round there, as soon as that comes on picks up humans on SMD right away. I reduced the IR delay to 2 seconds which helped as well. Good enough for my needs.