Smearing / skipped frames on main stream only

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the old HDW5231R-Z 2MP that has been serving me well running on a unifi setup. I have newer dahua cameras that don’t behave like this. I have been updating the firmware on those with never any issues and today i factory reset them just to be sure.

main stream is 264, 10fps, 1080

even watching live in the browser produce the same error so its not the nvr (Synology)

and as mentioned its only the main stream, not the 720p sub stream i use for frigate and double take.

if you look at the picture it just smear out the picture here me walking in regular pace from the door towards the camera.

this happens on all of my 3 of this model so it could be any 2020+ firmware.

or maybe the cameras is ready for replacement?

0C6B8CF1-7EF0-4E91-AED8-A2D6C761183A.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Bit rate, iframe rate, exposure, gain, exposure compensation all come into play here. Without knowing those settings there's no way to diagnose. If everything is on auto that can easily be a problem.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe this helps: i just say again so no confusion this is 100% default settings and all ‘ai’ things like motion detectors etc is turned off so should not be affecting the cpu

0681561E-E99B-4030-B721-0161A4AD7F28.png

898D67BF-9650-4EA1-89C1-4FDE0451C2B0.png
07593F09-2709-4B09-B143-1B35DF47AC75.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
First match the frame and iframe rates, 10/10 for example. Next get rid of CBR and set a bit rate of 2048 or 4096.

I assume you're in Europe which is why you've selected 50Hz for antiflicker.

The exposure should be set to manual, not auto, with a range of 0.001 to 16.66 for example. Keep the exposure compensation and/or gain as low as possible. That can vary with each installation and from camera to camera even with the same models. You didn't post Backlight settings which can be very important as well.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. I have now for starter changed CBR to VBR on the 3 cameras and 4096, set exposure to manual and the range you suggested. The gain is now 0-40.

Regarding the Backlight is all set to off

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh sorry, you said Next get rid of CBR so I assumed VBR, but I changed them to CBR now. (only two options). It helped a BIT on the smearing (the artefacts), but still I see it skips seconds on the main stream. Since this is happening in the UI of the camera I assume we can rule out the cables too. It seems like it run normal, then stops for 1-2 seconds, then jump. As I said I have several other Dahua cameras (newer) that have no issues with this. I almost suspect its the newer firmwares that is to blame unless you have a great idea?

It was a bit progress, but the second skipping is not ideal

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Next question is what are you recording on, NVR or VMS? What's the network configuration?

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Next question is what are you recording on, NVR or VMS? What's the network configuration?
Network config is Unifi Pro with 10GB SPF backbone powering over POE directly from a rack switch. For now the cameras is on an open, unrestricted VLAN (tried without VLAN too with same result).

I have two consumers of the cameras.
1. Synology Surveilance station that consume the main stream
2. Frigate that consume the sub stream for object and face detection

The other cameras is connected to the same switch (the ones with no issues)

The clip is a consumption directly from the camera stream

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It is possible that the CPU in the camera is overloading. Just for a laugh shut down the sub stream and see what happens. I have no experience with Synology so you're on your own there, but also have a look at CPU utilization when that camera is being triggered.