So I roughly have installed a 5442 6mm birdhouse camera on lamp post 50' from my front door....with tire slashing incursion discussion

Reaction score
sidenote: installed my new 5442 Z4E 32mm Varifocal bullet tonight. It's main duty will be to catch the entranceway (it's the only pathway into my dead-end area). Will have OnGuard and Deepstack AI working in conjunction to keep alerts to a minimum unless a human comes a walking.
Things are mostly set at default as I have to reconfigure many things.
Entrance Overview 2021-02-10 06.24.31.782 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Good thing she didn't glue up your cameras. Shouldn't be hard to prove that is her now.

Sucks you have to go through all of this.
yea... it's all wrong. I could see someone doing this in a form of revenge or 'you did me wrong' scenario.
But, I'll keep posting what happens so other folks down the road can read up on my experience, good or bad. Not much on here about what happens AFTER something is caught on video. So, I'll keep at it. Plus, I feel AOK to share back to this site in some form or fashion. Maybe my security ideas (OnGuard, Deepstack, Home Assistant, DSC alarm, smart tv's) may come in handy for someone, someday.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, thank you for sharing this misfortune as I know that many of us have provided valuable feedback to assist you with your video captures that may not have happened had you not shared. And it helps us make sure our systems are capable of capturing crap like this.

It is a shame that drugs ruin so many lives and they lose all sense of reality.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I do admit... I do not have 27 cats so nobody calls me the CatGuy (well, I do have 2 cats).
But I do have 27 Dahua cameras so folks will eventually call me the CamGuy :)
(well, 4 of those cams are the VTO/VTH dahua doorbell setup)
Ah, someone with more cameras than me. ;) I have 20 with mostly Dahua but with a few Hikvision cameras thrown into the mix.

Reaction score
Good news. Installed my new 5442E-Z4E 20' up in the air to get a unobstructed view of my entranceway. This camera is a 32mm max varifocal based off the 5442 4MP camera. Andy said a great camera upto 100'. I am probably pushing 130-140' for my purpose. Not so great lighting so will keep B&W instead of color. Camera is setup with OnGuard and Deepstack AI to only alert me when it is a human.
purpose #1: to give me additional time to react to a human walking into the entranceway. One thing I found with cameras attached to my house was that trigger events happened in the >50' range even with IVS or small pixel size/contrast for motion detection at night which is from my house to lamp post. My lamp post 5442 triggers events around 15-20' at night because I think a human is walking nearly straight towards the camera instead of a more sensitive state of moving left/right (at least, that is what Bosch PIR's say is best...left/right motion). I added zigzag IVS tripwires instead of relying on motion detection. This should give me a good 30-45 second response time. Enough to put clothes on at 3am and come rushing out the front door with a battle axe.
purpose #2: spotter camera for my Dahua SD49225XA-HNR PTZ camera. Have not config anything for spotter camera yet but I know it involves a camera being triggered by IVS or motion, and then sending a URL trigger to the PTZ so that the PTZ knows what preset to move into.
Even at 150' distant, can easily spot the blazing IR LED's. Looks like it's a total square around the lens housing.
camera test.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With BI, it is literally a few minutes to configure the spotter cam. If the preset has already been set in the PTZ camera GUI, then it is like 30 seconds in BI.

When you set up IVS in the cams for human, you left min object size as zero correct? Mine is AI on humans like 150 feet out and I do not have the light you do. It looks like from pic in post 161 you could run color?

Last edited:
Reaction score
With BI, it is literally a few minutes to configure the spotter cam. If the preset has already been set in the PTZ camera GUI, then it is like 30 seconds in BI.

When you set up IVS in the cams for human, you left min object size as zero correct? Mine is AI on humans like 150 feet out and I do not have the light you do. It looks like from pic in post 161 you could run color?
did not leave min object to zero. Was unaware of such a suggestion. Will try it out.
In regards to color vs B&W. There is only 1 street light down there. 1/2 the image does have serious darkness. For AI purposes, I have no need for color but only detection. B&W does a better job for that (based on a single night of walk tests). My lamp post 5442 is color. My other 5442 attached to above garage door is also color. So I do have night time color cameras to use. Plus, I was in a rush to get things configured last night. Was tired :) This weekend, I may try out full color at night with image setting adjustments.
For the record...I will only have the 3 mentioned above cameras operate with AI that trigger MQTT which in turns triggers sound alarm & turns on smart TV with Firestick UI3 display. If I tried to do too many cameras with AI, the CPU will be too taxing up in the 90-100% range since OnGuard/Deepstack AI reside on the same Windows machine as Blue Iris. All other cameras use simple IVS zigzag tripwire/intrusion boxes to simply trigger record with no MQTT. I have a low profile GTX1060 video card to yet install which may help with doing AI duties instead of the CPU, but have not yet installed.
Also of note. While using OnGuard/Deepstack AI, trigger events through the evening/morning like at 3am works great as there are no humans walking around at that time of night (so far) other than evil woman. However, the additional security of the 3 outside Bosch PIR's with pet guard immunity which are connected to my DSC alarm panel > MQTT > sound alarm/smart tv....not 100% perfect as they do detect when automobiles drive past. Since mid December, I do get awaken by alerts 1 or 2 times through the night by vehicles, almost every night. Starting to get tired of that. Probably not a healthy thing :) May look into the the DSC alarm panel to rely on OnGuard/Deepstack as well but unsure. A tad skittish to rely soley on a single bottleneck for security trigger notification as OnGuard or Deepstack do crash at times.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You may have too many sensors to be honest if you are getting nightly false alarms. I'd pare it down. See if you can just cover your driveway and not any of the road as far as alerting goes.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, with the AI in the Dahua cams, if you set a min size then the camera picks up the human but needs to wait until it meets the min size to trigger and that could be why you were not getting them until they were closer.

Makes sense on AI with color versus B/W with the 3rd party add-on.

You may want to consider trying the AI in these cams. I have found them spot on. YMMV. Using the AI for my spotter cams for the PTZ, they have not sent a false trigger. It has spotted and turned for exactly what I selected. Also using the camera triggers brings down CPU as BI doesn't have to use motion. May take some of your dependence off of needing the OnGuard/Deepstack so heavily. As you said, those crash and can have other issues.

You may be forced to use the OnGuard for how you set up your automation, but certainly for anything in BI, use the cameras AI and see if that provides you what you need and brings down your CPU.

I have been looking at one of the AI add-ons for my system to bring AI to my non-AI cameras, but the maxing out of the BI CPU I know would be an issue for me, and seeing all the expected issues people have with implementing it, I decided I will just upgrade the cams to AI cams as I get the time and money. While it is cool, I don't need all the fancy stuff that comes from those AI add-on tools (now for LPR, yes I am using the tools created in those threads). If my camera triggers BI to record for human or vehicle, that is sufficient for my needs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may have too many sensors to be honest if you are getting nightly false alarms. I'd pare it down. See if you can just cover your driveway and not any of the road as far as alerting goes.
I should compose a little map of my camera layout and PIR layout, this weekend so folks know what my primay focus areas are and why I have what I have and to where.

Reaction score
Yeah, with the AI in the Dahua cams, if you set a min size then the camera picks up the human but needs to wait until it meets the min size to trigger and that could be why you were not getting them until they were closer.

Makes sense on AI with color versus B/W with the 3rd party add-on.

You may want to consider trying the AI in these cams. I have found them spot on. YMMV. Using the AI for my spotter cams for the PTZ, they have not sent a false trigger. It has spotted and turned for exactly what I selected. Also using the camera triggers brings down CPU as BI doesn't have to use motion. May take some of your dependence off of needing the OnGuard/Deepstack so heavily. As you said, those crash and can have other issues.

You may be forced to use the OnGuard for how you set up your automation, but certainly for anything in BI, use the cameras AI and see if that provides you what you need and brings down your CPU.

I have been looking at one of the AI add-ons for my system to bring AI to my non-AI cameras, but the maxing out of the BI CPU I know would be an issue for me, and seeing all the expected issues people have with implementing it, I decided I will just upgrade the cams to AI cams as I get the time and money. While it is cool, I don't need all the fancy stuff that comes from those AI add-on tools (now for LPR, yes I am using the tools created in those threads). If my camera triggers BI to record for human or vehicle, that is sufficient for my needs.
when you say try out the 5442's internal AI. What do you mean? Sadly with all the rush into this security stuff, I may have overlooken camera AI abilities.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
when you say try out the 5442's internal AI. What do you mean? Sadly with all the rush into this security stuff, I may have overlooken camera AI abilities.
IVS

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do not use the SMD, just the IVS with the human check box checked.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Knock on wood, these AI check boxes are spot on in all of my cameras that have them! Has made scrubbing alerts in BI a breeze because even with how great motion detection is in BI, there are a few situations where I cannot knock out false triggers, especially at night with headlights bouncing off a hill for example. Trying to eliminate that and then I miss a real trigger. The camera AI doesn't even flinch at attempting to think the headlight bounce is a trigger, or motion lights turning on.

And because I have a few "dumb" cameras without AI lol and have some overlap with those and AI cams, I have been able to confirm every false and true trigger from those dumb cams were accurately triggered or not triggered in my camera with AI. To the point that I cannot see myself buying a new camera without that.

Attachments

Reaction score
Knock on wood, these AI check boxes are spot on in all of my cameras that have them! Has made scrubbing alerts in BI a breeze because even with how great motion detection is in BI, there are a few situations where I cannot knock out false triggers, especially at night with headlights bouncing off a hill for example. Trying to eliminate that and then I miss a real trigger. The camera AI doesn't even flinch at attempting to think the headlight bounce is a trigger, or motion lights turning on.

And because I have a few "dumb" cameras without AI lol and have some overlap with those and AI cams, I have been able to confirm every false and true trigger from those dumb cams were accurately triggered or not triggered in my camera with AI. To the point that I cannot see myself buying a new camera without that.
can toss up a couple picture images at night, to see what lighting you are up against, and what environment to work with?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have worse light than you - no street lights and neighbors that don't keep their outside lights on!

Will only post night shots since that is when it mattes most (and if it works at night, it will work in bright day!) Here is the 5442 at max zoom at 150ish feet out showing how quickly it picked them up (the red line shows which trip and the red box shows the subject tracked) and swings my PTZ to this location:

1613058887431.png

Even in a freakin blizzard....imagine how much the CPU would be maxing out sending all the snow pictures for analysis LOL. My non-AI cams in BI were triggering all night. This pic says it all:

1613059392084.png

An older 5241-Z12 at 220ish feet out to swing my PTZ that way:

1613059490988.png

I am using tripwires in this instance because I only wanted to get the motion coming towards me for PTZ spotter purposes as the PTZ would already be tracking them LOL. My other cams use intrusion IVS (appears and crosses) to trigger motion in BI for alert purposes. I prefer intrusion unless there is a specific need for the tripwire.

Last edited: