So my Midspan won't run without fans.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any fairly cheap drop in fairly quiet replacements for fans like this?IMG_20170425_155702.jpg
IMG_20170425_155727.jpg
Plugs in to this, I need two fans.
IMG_20170425_155727.jpg

Attachments

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
It claims you can control the fan speed but I don't remember seeing that anywhere in the interface or anything for the powerdsine.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
actually the stock ones are 3.72 watts .31 amps and the others are .6 watts .05 amps, do you think the power supply will kill them?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
its 12v, 3 wire, 40mm.. it'll work.
welp, you know a lot more about electronics than me so I'll go with that lol. it looks like a standard connector so it should work, I'll order one to test and if it works fine I'll order another.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
actually the stock ones are 3.72 watts .31 amps and the others are .6 watts .05 amps, do you think the power supply will kill them?
It uses less power and you're worried about it hurting the PSU? :facepalm:
it may not move as much air and/or it's more efficient / quieter.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so long as you don't have much draw from the midspan that fan should be fine and way quiet. I suspect that it will not be sufficient to cool it when more than about 100W of PoE is asked for and delivered. What you need is a used 1U (40mm) server fan from an excessed rack mounted server. If you don't have any local stock of that sort of thing, ebay is your friend. I used to have a bunch in my garage, but tossed them a couple of years ago. The one caution i want to add is this. If the midspan does not control the speed, the higher powered server fans will drive you crazy with the noise. I suspect that the midspan does control the fan, however, but you still shoudl get one with a similar speed/power curve. The Delta fan that i linked to should fit that (just an educated guess YMMV).

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
It uses less power and you're worried about it hurting the PSU? :facepalm:
it may not move as much air and/or it's more efficient / quieter.

No I was worried about frying the fans nayr linked from amazon, I ordered two of those, they will be here tomorrow. :)