Soffit Mount Alternatives

abc1230

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

After getting a quote for $16k to install 8 exterior cameras, I started reading up on this site quite a bit and going down the rabbit hole of all of the different options in terms of cameras, NVR/BI/etc, mounting, etc. Thank you for this great resource! As a result of the good info found here, I've purchased about 10 cameras from Andy, have a Mac SecuritySpy system up and running, and am now ready to start mounting my exterior cameras (already have a couple interior ones working). And that's where I'm stuck.

I have vented vinyl soffits around my home and had planned to use the aluminum stock method. However, as I started finalizing plans to paint the aluminum stock, I've gotten somewhat scared off. It seems like painting aluminum is quite a task - wash, dry, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand etc etc etc. That's of course on top of cutting the bars, drilling and tapping, finding (or cutting down) screws to match, etc. I want to do this right, so that the cameras are secure and the paint doesn't flake off of the aluminum, but I simply don't have the time or skill to make sure all of those steps are done correctly. Even if I felt like I had the right tools and skill to prepare the soffit mounts, my wife will lose her mind if she sees me spending even MORE time on this project.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone sell pre-cut/painted/drilled aluminum stock for mounts? I've searched and haven't found a source, but figured it was worth asking here.
2) Is there such a thing as pre-painted / finished aluminum stock? If I could at least get the material in a state that I just need to cut and drill it, that would make this project way more feasible. Again, I've searched and haven't found the 1-2 inch aluminum bars painted, powder coated, or similarly finished in white.
3) Have folks explored any other materials for these soffit mounts? Painted wood? PVC? Plexiglass? I've been racking my brain trying to think of an alternative approach to painting the aluminum but haven't figured anything out yet.

Very much appreciate any suggestions that this group may have!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I said screw it and just painted over the aluminum stock with zero prep and they have retained the paint for years.

I simply cut them to the length and wedged it up under the pieces holding the vinyl soffit and all has been good.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@wittaj,
Do you remember what paint you used? I've never tried painting bare aluminum, and with the oxide layer, I'm surprised you didn't have problems.

@abc1230,
You may just need to use an etching primer on the aluminum before painting it.
You could try this stuff:

And it comes in an attractive green color, that I'm sure your wife will like...:
1682110811585.png

They do make an "aluminum" paint, but this one says "self-etching" which to me means it will break down the oxide layer; so the primer should stick to the metal, not just bond to the oxide layer.

And kidding aside, do not buy the dark green, or any dark primer. You'll have to overcoat it with a lighter paint so many times, it will be a hassle (unless your soffits are a dark color).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just used plain old exterior house paint left over from painting the garage door. Since it is on the undersiding of the soffit it really isn't impacted by weather, so it has held up really well. I did have to touch up some spots when I first installed it, but haven't touched them in years and they have retained the paint and color.

abc1230

n3wb
Reaction score
I said screw it and just painted over the aluminum stock with zero prep and they have retained the paint for years.

I simply cut them to the length and wedged it up under the pieces holding the vinyl soffit and all has been good.
That's good to know. What kind of paint did you use and if you don't mind, what climate are you in?

@abc1230,
You may just need to use an etching primer on the aluminum before painting it.
You could try this stuff:

And it comes in an attractive green color, that I'm sure your wife will like...:
View attachment 160665

They do make an "aluminum" paint, but this one says "self-etching" which to me means it will break down the oxide layer; so the primer should stick to the metal, not just bond to the oxide layer.

And kidding aside, do not buy the dark green, or any dark primer. You'll have to overcoat it with a lighter paint so many times, it will be a hassle (unless your soffits are a dark color).
Thanks for the tip. That happens to be the only self etching primer that I've found. Is it possible that they just don't make any other/lighter color? My prior plan, when I was going to do all of the cleaning/sanding/painting, was to use that stuff then spray over it with some sort of matte white paint.

abc1230

n3wb
Reaction score
I just used plain old exterior house paint left over from painting the garage door. Since it is on the undersiding of the soffit it really isn't impacted by weather, so it has held up really well. I did have to touch up some spots when I first installed it, but haven't touched them in years and they have retained the paint and color.
Got it! Really interesting. glad to know that worked out for you. To be honest, I'm just kind of worried about going through all of the hassle of getting everything mounted and then having to take it all down to repaint.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@abc1230,
If wittaj got away with using house paint (now that I think about it, was it latex or oil based? I'd guess oil based would stick better to aluminum), I think you'll be fine with this stuff:
Just be sure to wipe it clean with a rag and some type of solvent, like acetone or mineral spirits. Basically get all the contaminants, oils, and such from your hands off of the surface. These primers are made to stick.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After I have bench tested the camera and know it works, I literally brush on a coat of paint on the camera then the aluminum stock and then go back to the camera and apply the 2nd coat like literally in less than 15-20 minutes after the first coat and then 20 minutes later hang it up. Then touch up the paint that scrapped off in the process and it has been good. With the wire already in place, start to finish painting and hanging is under an hour LOL.

I didn't use any type of solvent to wipe or clean it prior to painting and used water based outside paint.

Totally unorthodox and not what most would recommend LOL

I'm in the midwest so I see all seasons. I still have some old analog cameras I painted 10 years ago that I just haven't taken down yet and the paint is still on them.

Here is one from 4 years ago and that paint is holding up like the day I put it up.

1682120277158.png

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could look for stuff that's been anodised or if you already have your aluminium you could look for a place to anodised it for you.
No idea what sort of costs would be involved.

American eaves are weird. We don't have this stuff in Australia.
Eaves are typically closed in with cement sheeting which is perfectly capable of taking the weight of a camera via a suitable fastener.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could look for stuff that's been anodised or if you already have your aluminium you could look for a place to anodised it for you.
No idea what sort of costs would be involved.

American eaves are weird. We don't have this stuff in Australia.
Eaves are typically closed in with cement sheeting which is perfectly capable of taking the weight of a camera via a suitable fastener.
It's called builders are cheap here LOL. Anything to save a buck, yet charge a premium.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is one from 4 years ago and that paint is holding up like the day I put it up.
That cam is only attached to the aluminum? Do you lead the cable on the upside of the aluminum?

I literally brush on a coat of paint on the camera
You are brushing the camera with paint? Why that? (Unless it is white and you want it black)

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That cam is only attached to the aluminum? Do you lead the cable on the upside of the aluminum?

You are brushing the camera with paint? Why that? (Unless it is white and you want it black)
Yep cam is attached to the aluminum. I cut a small opening in the vinyl soffit, but only cut 3 sides and then push it up and bring the cable thru so that if I change locations of the camera or remove the camera, I simply bend the vinyl soffit back down into place and from ground level you can never tell there was opening (compared to my neighbor that completely cut the piece away).

From the picture I posted it should be obvious it was painted to blend in with the trim of the house LOL

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

After getting a quote for $16k to install 8 exterior cameras...
OK so what equipment (camera make/model and NVR make model) did they quote you for $16K....or was it like the many trunk slammers that don't even provide that so they can unload cheap crap to an unsuspecting homeowner and charge a premium for junk?

flyyboyy

n3wb
Reaction score
Painting aluminum isn't really that hard (I earn my shekels painting GA aircraft, most of those are aluminum). If you want it to last, dont use "automotive" type primers, and don't go straight paint without proper pre-treatment. As has been mentioned already, option 1 is:

1 - Use a self-etching primer. Can even get rattle cans from Home Depot, et al. Available in a light gray, easy to cover with white or other light colors
2 - Use zinc chromate or its newer alternatives. Aviation shops have it (Aircraft Spruce. Sky Geeks, etc). Green or yellow only
3 - Use a "Wash Primer" - AwlGrip is available on Amazon and aviation suppliers
4 - Use a 2-part epoxy primer. More involved for small jobs, but works great
5 - Use Alodine. Chemically converts raw aluminum surface. Usually, parts are dipped

There ya go - I listed them in what I would consider easiest to hardest for what you might be willing to do. . .

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I use PVC board. It's already white.
Hmmm... I see it comes as thin as 1/2" but I fear it would not be rigid enough. I would think that going thicker would displace the soffit covering panels too much.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How about white tape? Duct tape, etc.. ? I've used that on my soffit that got damaged from somebody (innocently whistles) working around it. It's held up fine for several years.

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm... I see it comes as thin as 1/2" but I fear it would not be rigid enough. I would think that going thicker would displace the soffit covering panels too much.
I used 3/4" mounted on the facia trim. The little bit showing doesn't bother me, if you didn't know it was there, odds are you'd never notice. You could always taper the end down, notch it at the end.