Soffit Mount Alternatives

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've used an electrical box cover on the back side of the soffits to distribute the weight. Not enough for heavier cameras but you could put the aluminum flat stock on the backside also where it won't be seen.

abc1230

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for this really helpful info! Still digesting and weighing options but this is great food for thought.

OK so what equipment (camera make/model and NVR make model) did they quote you for $16K....or was it like the many trunk slammers that don't even provide that so they can unload cheap crap to an unsuspecting homeowner and charge a premium for junk?
They did provide the model numbers, but unfortunately, it looks like I no longer have access to the proposal to confirm. I should note that my $16k number was wrong, it was about $14k (still too much for me!). I also recall that they were selling Luma-branded models, which seemed to be rebranded Dahau or Hikvision. I think the cameras were 4MP turrets, there was a Luma NVR, and also a prosumer grade POE switch. I want to say the breakdown was about 50% labor and 50% parts.

Painting aluminum isn't really that hard (I earn my shekels painting GA aircraft, most of those are aluminum). If you want it to last, dont use "automotive" type primers, and don't go straight paint without proper pre-treatment. As has been mentioned already, option 1 is:

1 - Use a self-etching primer. Can even get rattle cans from Home Depot, et al. Available in a light gray, easy to cover with white or other light colors
2 - Use zinc chromate or its newer alternatives. Aviation shops have it (Aircraft Spruce. Sky Geeks, etc). Green or yellow only
3 - Use a "Wash Primer" - AwlGrip is available on Amazon and aviation suppliers
4 - Use a 2-part epoxy primer. More involved for small jobs, but works great
5 - Use Alodine. Chemically converts raw aluminum surface. Usually, parts are dipped

There ya go - I listed them in what I would consider easiest to hardest for what you might be willing to do. . .
If I were to proceed with option 1, would I just go straight to the self-etching primer, then paint? Or would I need to do some prep (e.g., wash, sand) before either (or both) of those steps?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Wipe it down with some alcohol, spray on the etching primer, paint.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for this really helpful info! Still digesting and weighing options but this is great food for thought.

They did provide the model numbers, but unfortunately, it looks like I no longer have access to the proposal to confirm. I should note that my $16k number was wrong, it was about $14k (still too much for me!). I also recall that they were selling Luma-branded models, which seemed to be rebranded Dahau or Hikvision. I think the cameras were 4MP turrets, there was a Luma NVR, and also a prosumer grade POE switch. I want to say the breakdown was about 50% labor and 50% parts.

If I were to proceed with option 1, would I just go straight to the self-etching primer, then paint? Or would I need to do some prep (e.g., wash, sand) before either (or both) of those steps?
I am sure they were on less than ideal MP/sensor ratios! Still way to expensive!

flyyboyy

n3wb
Reaction score

Alcohol may or may not work, depending on the type of possible contaminant (oily/greasy surfaces need a true solvent. I use lacquer thinner on everything myself} Sanding not necessary if you are working with clean, "raw" aluminum. Then just rattle and spray. Don't sand the etch primer; after it has fully flashed (solvents evaporated, can touch it without leaving fingerprints), go straight to paint.