Software advice

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At home I use Blue Iris and utilise motion detection as the cameras not only record activities, but they also trigger various home automation actions.

But I am now looking at utilising Blue Iris at work (purchase another license), but this time more for recording some testing that occurs in our research laboratories when I choose to record.

I already have the IP cameras in place and they are all running on our internal network (local IP's).

I don't believe security procedures/guidelines will allow me to record continuously as it could be misinterpreted as monitoring people working thus the need to start and stop recording manually.

I am sure Blue Iris will allow me to manually click record when there are certain tests be done, but I know Blue Iris is primarily setup for security so the usual record modes are either continuous or by motion trigger.

Any other suggestions of software, or does Blue Iris still stand out for this type of recording.

JonW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You could set all of the cameras to record continuously and then use the stop-light icon to start and stop the recording.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Would you be allowed to set schedules for recording?

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You could set all of the cameras to record continuously and then use the stop-light icon to start and stop the recording.
Sounds like a good option. I will play around with that at home to see how it works

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would you be allowed to set schedules for recording?
I think so. Schedules are time based though yes? Rather than event based? Typically we would setup a video camera, then manually start recording before the tests commence so I am trying to replicate that. Some times we will use a time lapse recording, and sometimes we will record continuously but this would be only on unique occasions.

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At the required time why would you not simply right-click on the desired camera and select "Start manual video recording?" What am I missing?
That does sound like an easy option, so thanks for you suggestion. To be honest, I haven't really explored how to do it in Blue Iris as I am away from my home PC for a few days. I have only used the motion detection recording.

However I was more putting this out there in case someone said maybe use "this" software instead for that application as other users of Blue Iris have liekly explored elsewhere.

I have a positive experience with Blue Iris, just I know its not aimed for this type of work so was putting this out there in case someone else knew something that wasn't achieved through google searching, likely because I didn't choose the right keywords.