Software to run and monitor IP camera

jkajfes

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm new about a week old and before I go about mucking up my computer by installing a bunch of different types of security software I thought I'd ask about which most of feel is pretty good to run. I didn't see a general area to post so I thought I'd post here in Blue Iris.

A bit about my stuff... I upgraded my Qnap TS870 with 4 additional 3TB drives and plan to use that space for security footage. I installed the Surveillance Station app found in the Qnap and purchased 1 wireless Foscam Fi9805W camera. I've got it mounted on a grip stand in an alcove between my front door, a garage door and two sliding glass doors. First off it's not wide enough coverage for these three door but hey I'm just trying to get a feel for the big picture. These forums are amazing for information on stuff. I've already realized that the foscams may not be the route to go and I'm now looking at Dahua and Hikvision types.

I just wanted to get an idea of the storage I might need. I setup the one camera wirelessly and recorded about 7 days of footage at the highest settings I thought I might use. Holy batman... 80 gigs already!... wow and interesting.

This is with using Survelliance stations interface. I don't know much at this point but I started wondering how I'm going to view previous footage that's stored on the NAS and what might be the best software for doing this. I know the foscam came with some software but I didn't install it and that's probably a good thing as I won't be buying any more foscams for now... I had a heck of time already with the plugin for firefox to get at the setting in the camera and it's still a mess, just doesn't seem to work right. I had to load Internet Explorer, it's plugin and go that route...

I also discovered quickly that it might be better for me to use IP type cameras with CAt5 cabling which also powers certain types of cameras. I didn't even know that last week.

So I'm now wonder what type of software most folks use and maybe why... I just don't want to go installing a bunch of different security software packages because software tries to take over your computer and each one want's to be top banana in a system.

If I install say Blue Iris will it take control of everything or can I still use Surveillance station in the system. Does it change all the defaults and if I stop using it am I going to have problems with Surveillance Station software gaining back control? Just asking because I really don't know this stuff.

I have this feeling it'll take control and if I uninstall it for whatever reason nothing going to be working right after that.

any insight would be appreciated... nice to meet ya's eh!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

There are lots of video security programs out there. Blue Iris is what I use myself, so I am quite familiar with it.

Blue Iris will not take over the system, or change any of your camera settings. It plays nicely with others.

Blue Iris is intended to run on a powerful PC 24/7. It requires a more powerful CPU than most video security programs. You will want at least a recent desktop PC with an i3 or better CPU. It can work with less, but if you have to buy something new, I will not recommend less than an i3. As a general guideline, if you intend to run more than perhaps 4 HD cameras, get an i5 instead. If you intend to run more than 8 HD cameras, get an i7 instead. Slower systems may only be good for one or two cameras, if any!

Your NAS should work for storing video clips. You can make that space go a LONG way if you use motion detection and don't record continuously. If your NAS provides fast and reliable windows file sharing (a.k.a. CIFS / SMB) then that is best. You can map it as a network drive and have Blue Iris save clips directly to it.

Another common thing I see is people installing Blue Iris on a laptop, and only using it periodically, as a glorified camera viewing application. This does work, but it is not ideal because it is not efficient with CPU and most features of Blue Iris go to waste this way. Further, laptops are often connected to WiFi which means as long as Blue Iris is running over that there will be a huge load on your WiFi network. It is better to have Blue Iris run on a wired machine and use its web interface and/or a remote desktop application for viewing from another machine.

One important consideration is that while Blue Iris is not free, it is also not expensive. Most paid video security apps I have seen charge by the camera ($50-$100 each camera is common). With Blue Iris, that $50 buys you the "full version" which supports up to 64 cameras, no strings attached. The pricing is one of the things that makes Blue Iris great.

Blue Iris has a free trial you can use for a week or two, or you can try some of these free options:

* Milestone Xprotect Go (8 camera limit, max 4 days of recording, I think)
* GeniusVision community edition - http://geniusvision.net/community.html (16 camera limit)
* Ispy - http://www.ispyconnect.com/ (they charge a subscription fee for remote access)

Xprotect is probably the most polished of these options, but it is also has the most bothersome restrictions IMHO.

jkajfes

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks for your insight HP2008 being a Qnap owner I know all about the the additional fees for additional cameras
jk

walet39

n3wb
Reaction score
I suggested you to use Digifort software to monitor your IP camera.

One of greatest new idea is to transform your phone/tablet into a mobile remote camera and stream live video to Digifort server by using wireless or 3g/4g connectivity!

Please look at this youtube channel : http://bit.ly/1FaT7xu

Regards.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Digifort looks interesting but im guessing they are expensive because they dont list their pricing..
As far as their "new" function, blue iris has had that ability, called "broadcast from client app" since June of 2013, albeit for ios only and not android...does digi support this function for android?

walet39

n3wb
Reaction score
Digifort looks interesting but im guessing they are expensive because they dont list their pricing..
As far as their "new" function, blue iris has had that ability, called "broadcast from client app" since June of 2013, albeit for ios only and not android...does digi support this function for android?
Hi fenderman,
Thank you for the info on blue iris "new" function.
Yes, digi support both on ios and android.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the average price per camera on digifort?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Holy crap...while they have some interesting analytics that kind of pricing makes it way overkill for the average home user or small business...