Solar IR beam fence

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We cannot see the actual beam of light from any light source visible to humans; we can only see the light source itself or the light from that source
reflected from an object.

Surveillance cameras are the same in that regard; the biggest difference between them and humans is that the cameras are also able to see infrared light (IR) within a certain spectral range. What this means is viewing IR (by IR-receptive cameras) or laser light is not like it is in Hollywood. You cannot see the 'laser' beams guarding the priceless artifact in the museum from the side, you can see the light source and where it hits a reflective surface. In order for us to see the beam, particles of some sort (like fog, dust, etc.) must be introduced so the laser beam can hit them and reflect into our eyes. That's how they do it in TV and the movies...for our benefit so we will understand that the actor has to avoid the beams.

It's the same for the surveillance camera when it comes to the IR light; it sees the IR's source or the reflected IR light; the IR beam itself would only be seen by the camera (or another IR-receptive camera) if there was fog, dust or some other particulate in the beam's path to cause it to reflect into the camera's sensor.

Good Demo:
I've used lasers quite a bit in the past and so I can relate with the fog and dust items you mention. (In a super foggy area near wetlands at night, powerful green lasers can actually look very similar to light sabers). So with that in mind, you would think that if these devices actually have beams of IR light, that, on a super foggy night, we should be able to pick up the beams on super low light Dahua starlight cameras if the camera was pointed in the right direction and if the wavelength is around 850nm. Wouldn't that be a correct assumption? (from your post it sounds like you pretty much agree with this concept, correct?)

With Bababouy's photo, you can't see the beams, only swaths, but his demo isn't on a super foggy night either. And if it was super foggy, the camera angle he has may not show the beams very well as his camera is focused in a manner to protect the area versus getting good beam coverage from the beam fence. (and that's if these beams could even show up with adequate fog levels, and if they are 850nm).

I'm also wondering if maybe the tech is different versus the type of device. Perhaps some use swath and others use beams. The one I linked to says that it uses 3 beams.

It kinda sounds like not enough people have actually tested this type of device with a starlight and fog to see how sharp the beams are, or if they truly don't exist and are just swaths.

I found one set that lists the wavelength at 940nm which is the same wavelength of IR illuminators that are used for stealth. 850nm would show up better on most cameras but if some are at 940, others might be at 850nm.

Wireless solar 4 beams fence sensor

Last edited:

Savage

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok have question I took this picture by accident with my iPhone X while getting ready to take another picture of an object I didn’t realize I had taken them. I’m now trying figure them out . It is taken from driverside seat of my vehicle and I believe it looking through windshield at large oak tree on the right side of photo. WTH are these blue/ white lights ? I’ve changed light, exposure etc to see clearer if possible . Could these be hidden cameras??

Attachments

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok have question I took this picture by accident with my iPhone X while getting ready to take another picture of an object I didn’t realize I had taken them. I’m now trying figure them out . It is taken from driverside seat of my vehicle and I believe it looking through windshield at large oak tree on the right side of photo. WTH are these blue/ white lights ? I’ve changed light, exposure etc to see clearer if possible . Could these be hidden cameras??
Kinda look like light trails. I see those on my phone all the time when I'm driving. Could be almost any light source in the area. In fact the text mentions an air-bag so I'm guessing it's just the airbag light indicator with trails and that's how they look when your driving too fast or moving the phone about too quickly. :) There's a good quote from Big Trouble in Little China. "Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see besides that it's all in the reflexes."

Were you recently somewhere that had a bright orange (or white) glowing air bag display or are the air bags in your vehicle broken with the warning lights lit up by any chance? Are there any blue LED lights near the air bag indicator in the vehicle? (maybe from the stereo or heating/cooling controls).

BTW,

Last edited:

Savage

n3wb
Reaction score
I had been out of town for about 3 weeks and when I got home I noticed my vehicle that had been parked there the whole time interior front console light was on -no one else was at house or has key to vehicle , , so I wonder if someone has been in my vehicle or if I maybe left light on last time I was home. Vehicle cranked fine , but driver seat seemed to be out of
Position so I was looking around inside and took the light cover off and was taking picture of interior of the fixture console just above windshield . These two pics I
Posted were taken at that time.
. I’m not at home again this week to compare pics to actual front yard .
Vehicle still sitting in same spot.

There is an passenger airbag light on that console . But just it just says off if no one is in the
Passenger seat . No blue led lights in car and I don’t think
There any orange lens in that area .
I guess it could
Be some type reflection in the windshield from a side

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cue the intro music to "The Twilight Zone".....o_O

Or for the younger set, "The X Files"....